SRAM Rival 1 noisy?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dha

by dha

Running SRAM Rival 1 on my cross bike. Self installed. It works great, except it's noisy. Not when I'm pedalling but when freewheeling. It rattles, loudly. Now it could be just noise resonating through the alu frameset but I'm not conviced it's that. Its not chain slap either.

My thoughts are the chain is too short, KMC road chain that is a few links shorter than the SRAM example that is recommened. Would the KMC chain be the issue over using a SRAM example? Not maintaining the correct tension? Could this cause it? I can try and shoot a video if that might help trouble shoot.

Thanks in advance

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I have Rival 1 on my SuperX and it's nothing like you describe. I also had Rival 10 speed on my Madone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chello

by Chello

Rival 1 on my cross bike is not noticeably louder than anything else I've ridden. Noise while coasting would indicate to me you may have a freehub issue?

Marin

by Marin

Super silent for me.

When coasting, you whole Rival 1 is doing exactly nothing, so it's gotta be the freehub, nothing to do with the group. Chain length also won't affect noise while coasting.

dha

by dha

Thanks guys, I removed and refitted the cassette. There is a bit of a clunk in the free hub, its a stock giant one. A trip to the LBS for a hub grease/service might be in order.

Cheers