First time full custom build, in need some advice

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Hello all!

I've been following this forum for a few years now and I'm finally in a position to build something to contribute. Just to build a little suspense I'm not going to give away too many details but it will be a custom steel, disc, cross bike. I've been a mechanic going on 6 years now and it's time to treat myself. Build list is posted at the end for reference

Most of the build has been decided on but I'm looking for advice on wheels and then fun stuff to make it pretty. For hubs I've narrowed it down to either White Industries or Industry 9. I don't have any experience with either but I like the asymmetric flanges on the I9 front hub and as I'll be going with pink ano the I9's are much brighter. Rim wise my only realistic option is China/Taiwanese carbon, I want ~50mm depth, no brake track, tubular, external nipples, no logos, UD finish. I'm looking at the Light Bicycle RRU55T02 and was wondering if anyone here has some experience with the rim, company or any other recommendations. It'll be 1x11 Di2 and I'm going to do the A-junction on top of the set post to keep the front end nice and clean. I'm wondering if there is any routing scheme where I can avoid an internal B-junction in the bb area but with the longest cable available being 1.4m I'd need something like 2.1m.

Now for the fun stuff! The colours I have to work with are pink and blue, I'm going with, pink Chris King headset, blue KCNC jockey wheels, then I'm thinking about blue thru axles (it's a lot of money for barely any visible colour), and I'm debating a KMC black/blue dlc chain but again it's a lot of money for margin gains. BB I'm stuck with black so if anyone has any other places where I could add some pop please speak up. I was thinking of doing an ano bolt kit for the rear derailleur but I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for any advice people can offer :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

You could go for coloured brake hoses, goodridge, jagwire and superstar do them, other cheap colour bits are chainring bolts and stem cap or at least the bolt in alloy.

For your Di2 its probably easiest to keep a Junction B, at the bottom bracket then run a short cable up to the junction A under the seat. But the other option is to buy the longest Di2 cables you can get, which i think are 1200mm or so, and then cut one plug off and splice/solder the ends to make cable the length you need. its only 2 core cable.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The crank is direct mount so no can do there but thanks for the recommendations. How stiff is the housing compared to the Shimano hydro stuff, I have ridden mountain bikes for a long time and I haven't seen any of that stuff being used so I'm a little wary of the performance. Huh I had no idea the cables were that simple, I'll give splicing a go!

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

XT Di2 is said to become available in September. Did you consciously decide to go for the R785 calipers instead of the newer RS785 ones or the flat mount RS805?

Looks like a nice build! Personally I went for Kinlin XR31 rims, but I fancied these Yishun gravel rims (I have a thing for asymmetric rims).

I'm a sucker for comfort and will go for an Ergo CF3 seatpost myself.

motorapido

by motorapido

Ahh the Easton stuff is direct mount isn't it, missed that. I haven't tried any of the hoses myself but the goodridge stuff is pretty good automotive equipment so they know how to make hydro hoses.

Am reworking my 1x10 setup at the moment with a really striped down Di2 setup. just a junction A with spliced cables and a custom shifter switch install.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

@DutchMountains

Frameset delivery is looking like late September - mid October so if xt di2 does become available I'll probably opt for the rear derailleur to get a clutch. Most of my parts are being sourced through pro deals hence the R785 calipers, I would like to go flat mount as that's what the frame is but nothing an adapter won't fix.

@motorapido

hmmm well someone has to be the test mule

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Friends don't let friends tape their tubs.

And FWIW, the KMC DLC chains don't do anything better than the X10SL/X11SL, unless you're after the color thang.
Have you seen the Pink Lady chain???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

@upfromone

See I used to be a die hard gluer but I tried tape on a whim and haven't really looked back. Pink lady chain, do go on

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk