Helmet lights, anyone?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I was out last week, when it turned from dark too really dark i understood i need lights.
I have one for the handlebar, but i think i'd need a helmet one to.

Anyone having any tip?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

What sort of riding?
On Road and gravel you don't really need a helmet light. A decent bar light is good enough.

MTB it depends on your budget.

AZK

by AZK

wheelsONfire wrote:I was out last week, when it turned from dark too really dark i understood i need lights.
I have one for the handlebar, but i think i'd need a helmet one to.

Anyone having any tip?

Lots of the roads I ride have no street lights. So I Just got an Exposure Diablo which only weighs 120g and puts out 1400 lumens, I still ride with a bar light but for fast dark descends or looking to into sharp hairpins the head light is a great extra. Also comes into handy for road side repairs and checking which gear your friends are in so you can time your attacks to perfection!

The Exposure has some great features like tapping your helmet or light to switch between modes, a remote can also be used and various other accessories like a rear light or extra battery packs which all plug into a port at the back.

Last edited by AZK on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

thprice

by thprice

I have used the Light & Motion Vis 360 plus on my helmet for that past few years in addition to a handlebar mounted light.
It is not switched on all the time, but great when you need more light such as descents or looking at maps, fixing punctures, etc.

RussellS

by RussellS

Princeton Tec EOS Bike light. I keep it on my helmet year round. Always ready. It provides enough light to ride when commuting. Or if riding home after sundown or before sunrise. I frequently use it for 15-30 minutes or so at the beginning or end of rides. Ones that start or end in the dark. Couple days ago I had it on for an hour while riding home. The bike had two Busch Mueller generator Cyo lights. But the little extra from the helmet light helped. On Saturday I will use it to ride to the start of a ride. 10 miles of city riding where even the low setting is enough.

http://www.princetontec.com/eos-bike

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bought Silva Trail Speed Elite.
I have used it a few times. I thought i will use it along with my handlebar light.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

froze

by froze

I use both, a helmet light and a light on the bar. I like using both, the helmet light allows me to point the light anywhere I want including into car windows so they know I'm coming, or street signs, let you imagination run. The light has a flash mode so in the city I'll run it on flash, but on paths or county roads I run it on steady, the battery also lasts a very long time even on full brightness. The light I use is a Cygolite MityCross 480 DSP light, it does have a separate battery pack but I simply velcroed the battery to the back of the helmet then used the strap it came with to fasten it securely to the helmet. Of course I bought my Cygolite some time ago and since then they've come out with better solutions than what I use, but the battery is still good so there is no need to throw out a perfectly fine light just to get another light that won't have a separate battery to contend with.

On the bars I use a Philips Saferide light, which is still one of the brightest lights I've seen being used where I live, and it's now 4 years old, it's a fantastic light, extremely durable, a great beam pattern, which I cannot for the life me understand why Philips discontinued it.

I also use tail lights of course too, but that wasn't asked here so no sense on going on about those.

gtinut

by gtinut

I use two L&M Seca 1700. one on bar and second on helmet...almost enough light :twisted: sometimes wishing to have more....I might get new Seca 2200.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com