What am I missing?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I've been looking to replace the heavy but well-rolling stock wheels on my TCX.

These wheels from Cosine (Wiggle's home brand, most likely Novatech) seem to be very good for the price.

http://www.wiggle.com/cosine-23mm-alloy ... -wheelset/

In short;
1600gr
ERTRO 19c
Cartridge bearings (easy & cheap to replace)
Black
237€

Am I missing apart from the ugly decals? These seem to be a good deal.
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

They have cheap hubs and are probably machine built. I'd check tensions and stress relieve when you get them. Also, I'd be concerned about how good the seals are in the hub.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Cheap hubs and machine built. Doesn't necessarily make them bad wheels but they'll probably be a little less durable than more expensive wheels.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

Apparently straight, not butted, spokes are used. And someone complains that "his cassette lock ring tool can't be used due to large diameter end cap".

But it appears to be a bargain, shame they can't be used with through axles :(

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tomstr wrote:I've been looking to replace the heavy but well-rolling stock wheels on my TCX.

These wheels from Cosine (Wiggle's home brand, most likely Novatech) seem to be very good for the price.

http://www.wiggle.com/cosine-23mm-alloy ... -wheelset/

In short;
1600gr
ERTRO 19c
Cartridge bearings (easy & cheap to replace)
Black
237€

Am I missing apart from the ugly decals? These seem to be a good deal.

There are so many nice rims available now. You can probably have a really good set custom built for you using preferred hubs, nipples and spokes.

I would seriously not discard that option myself if i looked for a new wheelset.

As always, i must recommend you looking at No Tubes Avion Pro (or team if Pro cost too much).
If they are out of your budget, you could look at No tubes Crest MK 3 wheelset.
The 29:er version or 27,5" both works with 11 speed road cassettes even if they are listed as MTB wheels.
New Grail is also a hot contender!

Avion are really superb wheels! You have the lateral stiffness you sought after.
But the thing is No tubes have made a design that allows vertical compliance (which you most likely will not note) to handle potholes or simply to work a bit like your tires.
This will not slow you down, neither will rims sag in any way.
You should check it here
http://www.notubes.com/RiACT/

Bare in mind, Avion rims are 41mm deep and 28mm wide (externally) and about 22mm internally.
I have used these wheels with really fat tires like Panaracer Gravel King SK 700*40mm to the superbly fast Schwalbe S-One 30mm tubeless.

I must say i really like them. The Pro version use better spokes, a faster ratchet mechanism, and better bearings.

They are available with all through axle versions and center lock or 6-bolt rotor design hubs.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Thanks for all the reactions.

Checking and re-true-ing on arrival could be a very good idea. At this price they can't be handbuilt to solid standards.

Hub seals are an interesting one too. They can't be great at this price but the bearings appear to be standard which should make for easy replacement with quality bearings.

NoTubes is obviously a LOT better, I have them on my MTB with AM hubs and they work great. They're also more expensive, getting a set up & running for 240€ including OK spokes and hubs won't be easy, even if I build them myself. If I where racing I already had them. Most likely Grail or Alpha :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Time for a short review. I bought these for my girlfriends bike, I figured the wheels would experience less stress since she's a lot lighter that I am.

The wheels came out of the box and have been true and round ever since. The rims make a good fit with the Continental Cyclocross speed she's running (fine gravel tyre btw). They also have some height in the rims giving some extra aero and streetcred, always welcome. The finish is shotpeened black so should hold up well. The graphic on them is not very pretty but a bit of cleaning alcohol will sort that out for you.

The bearings and freewheel have been very silent from the start. No ticks or scraping heard when listening with a wrench to the hub. The bearings themselves are standard industry items so I'll get a set of new ones if these start to fail but given their sealing and the way they're seated in the hub I don't expect that anytime soon. The endcaps of the hubs have a rubber seal that I've greased up to stop most water and mud coming in. I've left the bearings alone.
[edit] the hubs will take through axles, they are standard Novatec items I believe.

As for the spokes, not a lot and not butted but tensioned well as far as I could feel and hear. Given the amount of spokes I wouldn't advise this set for heavyweights but for below 90kgs I can imagine it's allright.

Conclusion; They're not fancy or pretty but do the job well. Given their price I think I'm also going to get a set and experiment with stickers or spraypaint.