New to CX after advice on tyres and little setup

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Hi Guys,

So then recently purchased a Giant TCX2 alum, wanted to see if I like a CX before going carbon.
Really enjoying the ride but the kit tyres are not to great.

I've decided I want to do a few CX races with it and I'm a little unsure on what clincher tyres I would use.
Ideally a set for dry hard pack surface grass an AstroTurf and then wet set for muddy conditions typical UK weather. Don't want to blow the bank as its only got my to be mainly for winter training and racing.

Also just one more question has anyone ever experienced catching there knees on the lower drop bars? The bike fits me well but I do at times catch my knees when stood climbing up hills or sprint. I'm running a 90mm stem would a 100mm ruin my position though?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I've had good experience with Clement's range of tires. PDX are very popular around where I race. even if it's a more agressive tire, they are often use everywhere. You could try the MXP line as well or keep a PDX at the front and MXP behind. If it's really muddy add a PDX behind.

Not sure about the stem and catching the knees part. Try the 100m and see how that feels. Maybe you have a short stem, maybe you need to change your climbing technique. Hard to say