1x11 system, FSA SL-K Light or SRAM Force 1 cranks

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maggo

by Maggo

I am building a new CX on Pivot Vault frame with 386EVO BB. After some thoughts and my experience in mountain biking (2 bikes with XX1) I have ended up in a conclusion that instead of going with the flow (Ultegra DI2, I did have a road bike with these beauties before), I will go with SRAM Force 1 1x11 system with hydraulic disc brakes and the XG-1180 MINI CLUSTER Cassette (10-42) instead.

My problem is which crankset I would use !

The only crankset that fits to 386EVO BB directly seems to be SL-K LIGHT ABS 1X BB386EVO and I have not been able to find any reseller nor information from internet besides FSA:s own website. Second option is to go with SRAM Force 1 GXP crank with BB adapters (Wheels Mfg) or C-Bear's BB386 - Sram GXP BB or VCRC CERAMIC BB386/24 SRAM BB.

Any experience or advice on the FSA's 1x crank against SRAM's own e.g. how well the chain ring holds the chain, clears the mud etc. ? FSA's system seems to be proprietary ABS as SRAMS is 110 BCD.

Has anyone see FSA cranks been sold in internet (price point) ? Google did not help (at least) me.

Of course if there is a reason why my whole plan is a bad idea, comments are welcome.

Thanks, Maggo

ms6073

by ms6073

FSA makes several adapters for running non-FSA cranks, with the BB386 bottom bracket:

Fsa Bb386 Evo Frame to Sram Adapter - for Sram Cranks
FSA BB386EVO SRAM GXP 24mm spindle adapter
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maggo

by Maggo

Yes, I can fit several different cranks with adapters, but there is not too many 1x specific road/CX cranks. Reason for asking about the FSA 386EVO cranks is that with those I could get the benefits of the whole 386EVO design, lightness and stiffness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maggo

by Maggo

Found a new candidate, Easton EC90 SL, little bit expensive, but I do love my RF Next SLs in my trail bike. Any experience on these ?

romalor

by romalor

they aren't already available for sale only preorder
but it's exactly the same as the race face cinch next sl
so it should be great
cxmagazine ride it a little
http://www.cxmagazine.com/easton-ec90-sl-crankset-review-first-rides-cyclocross/10

and good price on preorder here http://www.jensonusa.com/Easton-EC90-SL-Cranks?avad=4196_bbee88cb&rpi=3456&utm_medium=AVLK
339 USD naked without chainring or bb

Maggo

by Maggo

Sounds very tempting, indeed! I tried to find information whether it is natively 386evo compatible. Easton claims it to fit in BB30 as well as 386evo, but the axle length is different in these 2 standards, so I am little bit confused. Axle diameter is 30 mm, though.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You also have Rotor QCX
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Maggo wrote:The only crankset that fits to 386EVO BB directly seems to be SL-K LIGHT ABS 1X BB386EVO

Not sure what you mean exactly, but SRAM's Force CX1 only needs spacers to fit a 386EVO BB properly. I am currently running said crank on my open up with a minimal amount of spacers and wavy washer. Now, the adjustment ring has to come off and you might have to play with shims/spacers to get it right, but that shouldn't be any different than the FSA crank. I know there was a post over on ST where an OPEN UP owner gave the specs on the spacers he was using and that is where I started for mine, but I think I ended up running less than what he suggested.

Maggo

by Maggo

Thanks Stalkan, these BBs and "standards" drive me grazy. Where i can find that post (ST?) you mentioned or can you tell your spacer setup. I have gone a one step down on the parts and will start with 1x Rival instead. I already ordered a BB from VCRC bike (386evo to gxp).

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Here you go: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post ... 2#p6002392

Sorry, I don't remember what I went with and I suspect it would only be a starting point for you. Some trial and error will get you right and the above post should get you going. Best of luck!

Also, any reason you went with GXP vs 30mm spindle? 386EVO is designed with a 30mm spindle in mind.

Maggo

by Maggo

Thanks!

Availability for 386evo cranks was the first reason, i found only one dealer from Europe with FSA cranks, but the price was 1000 $ and no response from the manufacturers. Then hit the budget restrictions, as I accidently bought another new bike as well ;). I got a pretty good deal on Rival 1x11 groupset. Need to consider upgrading later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com