GT Grade Carbon 105 - wheelset weight and more

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sepeda

by Sepeda

Greetings from Norway!

I am considering a GT Grade Carbon 105 2016. My question concerns the wheelset (Stan's Grail rims on Formula 4 hubs).

Does anyone out there know the actual weight of the wheelset? I guess it is not lightweight due to the Formula 4 hubs, so I am considering holding on to my old Stan's Iron Cross of 1550 grams. On the other hand, I would like to sell the Iron Cross in order to partly finance the new bike :|

Anyone used the wheelset for proper winter cycling in sub minus degrees? Although studded tyres like 45nrth Xerxes 30mm will fit nicely, I am concerned that the brass nipples may not cope with the salt on the roads.

Any comments on the questions above - as well as any other comments on the bike - will be highly appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Someone I know has exactly specced bike and issue with spokes: breakage at nipples. Bike used on roads and light gravel / forest paths only, however at any weather... look at my location and you'll have your answer ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Sepeda

by Sepeda

Thanks, Stormur!

Outside of getting a pair of sturdy winter hoops for the bike, my alternative is the somewhat bulkier and heavier GT Grade X 2015, which may be better suited for the truely cold weather and rough conditions.

Still hoping for input on the weight of the Carbon 105 wheelset though.

Winter is Coming.

stormur

by stormur

Here we still enjoy Finnish Summer. In this year it was today ;)

I wouldn't afraid of GT "factory wheels", but ( applies to many other OEM wheels as well ) I wouldn't trust its build quality. Take it on rig, even tension, grease/oil niple sockets in rims, spoke beads in hub flanges ( Wurth HHS2000 works perfect ) and you'll be fine.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

The Formula hubs are heavy.....but ok.
Some of the stock wheel builds have been off......just check the spokes ( or have a good mechanic do it)
The Grail rims are solid rims.

Iron Cross rims may not handle higher psi.

Sepeda

by Sepeda

Thanks, mtbstuff!

If I keep Iron Cross, I'll definitely stick to the recommended 45 psi or lower. More than enough for rides in the forest surrounding Oslo, with endless miles of gravel roads. It's a mountain area though, with lots of truly steep hills of rocky gravel, so light hoops are good. And fat tires along with some courage going downhill :D

Still hoping to get to know the actual weight of the Carbon 105 Grail wheelset.

Sepeda

by Sepeda

Was fortunate enough to get my hands on a second hand Carbon Ultegra in good condition.

Grail rims on DT Swiss 240 should do nicely.

Life is good.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

Sepeda wrote:Was fortunate enough to get my hands on a second hand Carbon Ultegra in good condition.

Grail rims on DT Swiss 240 should do nicely.

Life is good.

Nice find. I have one....my spokes were a little off out of the box ( most bikes are)
Tensioned them up and have a few thousand gravel miles on them with Compass Bon Jon tubeless tires....they are fine.
Built a 2nd set of wheels with Grails and 350 hubs with Hutchinson Sectors for smoother , more asphalt rides.
Selling my other road bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jcrr

by jcrr

@Sepeda

Just wanted to share that I've taken my Iron Cross rims up to 90psi without issues. You should look at this topic for others' experiences with pressures for specific Stan's rims and tires combos.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136644
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"