Upgrade or replace advice

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

apex

by apex

I am the proud owner of a 2002 Moots Psychlo, but I have never been satisfied with my position on the bike. Based on the measurements form a recent bike fit I need to make some significant changes to the bike to achieve my optimal position. Essential I need to replace the fork to raise the bars; a shorter stem, compact bars and a seat-back seatpost. The drive train also needs to be upgraded. I am now faced with the dilemma of is it even worth investing in these improvements or would I be better served by purchasing a new bike. The primary use is for cyclocross racing but I also enjoy gravel roads and single track as well. I would like to know what the weightweenies would recommend. The new Colnago Prestige, Santa Cruz Stigmata, Trek Boone and Focus Mares are on my short list of bikes to consider but none of them really get sing to my soul.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

New bike or frame. Many new bikes- especially with disc brakes will have a taller fork therefore taller stack.

RussellS

by RussellS

New frame. Your Moots is 2002, so its not like its new. Not old and outdated, but its already 14 years old. Its going to hold its current used price from now until forever. You can sell the bike for the same price today, tomorrow, next year, and maybe next decade. You got a lot of frame fit issues to work out with the old bike. Makes no sense to pour money into changing the entire way the bike fits when you can start with a new bike that is already close to what you need.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Always, always upgrade! That Moots will be an awesome pub bike :D
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Marin

by Marin

If you are reducing your reach as well as increasing your saddle setback, you are just moving your whole body back over the cranks. This could mean that the frame length is correct. Did your saddle-to-bars reach change much with the new fit?

Do you need a new fork for a longer steerer because yours is too short to raise the stem? Just get a different stem then.
You can't change to a longer axle-to-crown fork, this will mess up the geometry.

What kind of problems did you have with your fit, and do you have a bike that feels better to you? How does it compare to your Moots? Pictures would help too.

apex

by apex

Thank you all for taking the time for providing your input.

The bike handles well but I feel as though I am too far forward over the front wheel and I have had issues with the front wheel washing out. Some of the changes are for fit but to be honest some of the changes I would like to make are for aesthetic purposes. I could probably make the current fork work but I would like to upgrade partially to raise the stem but also Enve is no longer offering a cantilever cross fork so i would like to get one from my LBS while they still might be available. The stem needs to be shortened by 2 cm (120 down to 100). My current bar has a 25.4 clamp which is a standard that has become obsolete so a new stem leads to a new bar.

With all these obsolete standards I am struggling to justify investing to maintain currency. That being said if where to upgrade to an Enve fork and bar and a moots seatpost and stem I would have a bike that would akin to a classic steel road bike.

Marin

by Marin

Sounds like a plan. Maybe some pics of the bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GMF

by GMF

I'm right there with you. My cross bike is affectionately referred to has my hoopty, or my POS. I keep lusting after new machines, but the reality is that it still works just fine. So I've kind of embraced the cheap and used eBay parts replacement vibe and feel good about myself when I do well in a race. I have a little forced time off the bike, so to scratch that new bike itch, it is getting torn down and repainted something fun. $30 later... "New" bike :-).

Now if you can afford a new bike, and you WANT a new bike, by all means get a new bike. Scouring the web for cross bikes certainly occupies too much of my time ;-). If your moots still makes your heart sing, though, you can upgrade on the cheap (eg. A 25.4 stem off eBay), put some fresh bar tape on there dial your position in and keep singing.