Sram Road Hydraulic Lever Throw

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

I have a a set of Sram S700 hydraulic shifters and while I've been mostly happy with them, there's an issue with the levers coming too close to the bars as the pads wear.

I have put new brake pads on and bled the brakes, no air in the system and the levers are still coming in too close to the bars. They're actually touching the bars when fully compressed.

I know you can adjust reach, but I need to adjust the throw to be much lower. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe back out the bleed block and add more DOT fluid into the system?

Cheers.

motorapido

by motorapido

Not sure you can do it with the Sram brakes but the trick with some other makes like Formula or older Avid mtb is to slightly pressurise or overfill the system to get a solid brake with little lever travel. Although it does sound like you have some air in the system if the lever isn't going solid and the lever travel is to the bar. The bladder in the master cylinder should be able to accommodate pad wear with a consistent lever travel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

motorapido wrote:Not sure you can do it with the Sram brakes but the trick with some other makes like Formula or older Avid mtb is to slightly pressurise or overfill the system to get a solid brake with little lever travel. Although it does sound like you have some air in the system if the lever isn't going solid and the lever travel is to the bar. The bladder in the master cylinder should be able to accommodate pad wear with a consistent lever travel.

Cheers mate. Gonna take your advice and try and overfill, will just back out the bleed block a bit to allow more fluid in the reservoir.

Definitely no air in the system. I can lock the brakes fine, it just comes too close to the bars. Maybe it's the shape of the bars. Either way I'd like less throw.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

For anyone reading this with the same problem, I found a solution without adding additional fluid. There's a bolt under and behind the brake lever that adjusts lever throw. From reading SRAM documentation I had assumed it adjusted lever *reach*. But it adjusts lever *throw* and it works beautifully. The bolt had come loose over time which explains why the lever was touching the bar.

motorapido

by motorapido

Odd, The 4mm allen key drive in the brake lever is just for lever reach, the screw beneath the lever with a cross head is to retain the piston securing plate, so unless this came loose i don't think there is any lever throw adjustment, mind if it had come loose it would effectively give you some level of throw adjustment.

might have play with that to see what effect it has

Main thing is your problems sorted.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Here's the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com