New aluminium CX disc frame, any recommendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorapido

by motorapido

Currently running a Ican 105D carbon frame in size 54, but not happy with the level of toe overlap on this frame as its a real problem on tight turns,

am looking at the following as a bit of a budget replacement, Focus Mares AX, Cannondale CAADX, Scott CX20, Specialized Crux, all are alloy disc frames and the idea would be to buy a low end spec entire bike and strip it to swap the bits of my 105D. (most options aren't available as frame-set only) and most of these are available as closeouts with about 30% of list price in the UK.
Any ideas of the weight of these frame sets in size 54.
Also any other options i may have missed, or advise / comments would be appreciated.

Currently leaning towards the Focus as my preferred option.

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

What about this http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONRODDP/planet-x-london-road-frameset or (if carbon is ok) this http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXXLS/planet-x-pro-carbon-xls-cyclo-cross-frameset.

Not sure if they ship to the UK, but I can highly recommend this: http://vortrieb.com/rahmen/detail/cyclocross-disc-rahmen-3874200000000H/. Incredible value for a couple of peanuts. Mine came without decals and in a weird but awesome looking sparkling grey matte metallic powdercoating, if that makes sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Something from kinesis?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I love my CAADX, but not sure how they could compare weight and performance wise to the others. I like the geo so far for commuting, gravel grinding and CXing. I know the Crux has been popular on gravel and fast CX courses.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Have a Mares AX. Love it. Only complaint is the straight chain stays, sometimes there's slight heel rub. Not sure if you can run it without the RAT thru axle system.

scssfg45

by scssfg45

If you’re happy to swap everything from the old bike and you’re looking to spend, what a grand? Look for a good frameset instead of a cheap complete!

savechief

by savechief

Turner Cyclosys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I very much like my Giant TCX, you're likely to find some last years models with a bit of searching.
Ride it like you stole it

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Tomstr wrote:I very much like my Giant TCX, you're likely to find some last years models with a bit of searching.

I had a TCX before the CAADX; they have awesome clearance.

motorapido

by motorapido

Thanks for the input guys, gonna try a Cannondale and a GiantTCX if i can find them locally in the right size. and hopefully make a decision then,

The Turner and Santa Cruz are a bit out of my price range, but i think Planet X might be coming out with a new CX frame for this year, the road bikes have been updated and they've had close-out sales on the CX frames gradually thinning the range out, so i might hold out to see what they have to offer. in Carbon.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

What about Jamis? You can cx with this.
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ee/jamis ... e-EV245158
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ooo

by ooo

rainerhq, what you think about steel? (jamis is steel)
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Been a while looking and in the end thought to hell with it and blew my budget and scored a Niner BSB V1 with the standard QR rear dropouts for less than 1/2 price of Stif. Should get the frame-set it tomorrow.
Will spend a bit of time working out how to route the Di2 so its neat, am thinking of putting either the junction A or battery in the steerer for a neat install.
Putting the battery in the seat tube is an option but it won't fit in my planned seat-post , an Omega Cycles Evo Stich, as it has some internal reinforcement ribs.