Cable disc brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ghost234

by Ghost234

After having numerous issues with my Shimano hydraulic system, I've decided to go back to cable actuated disc brakes. I'm going to use standard Ultegra 6800 shifters, but could use some advice on which calipers I should use. I'm open to just about anything, I'm not very weight conscious. I just want something that works well.

Any recommendations?

pushstart

by pushstart

TRP Spyres are probably about as good as it gets in the cable world. After switching my commuter to (SRAM) hydraulic, though, I think they are pretty bad in comparison -- and can't wait to upgrade my road bike [that is still using Spyres]. The Spyres were an improvement over BB7s, mostly in terms of their adjustability and even pad wear, didn't notice a huge difference in stopping power.

What sort of issues have you had with Shimano? I have only heard good things and so was considering those for my next build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've had Shimano on my MTB for years and abolutely love them. But on my CX bike, with the di2 levers.... I hated them. The levers were far too big and always felt like they were too sensitive. It felt like just resting my fingers on the levers could engage the brakes. The pad spacing was also terrible, so wheel changes always seemed like an issue.

I just did not have good experiences, and decided to just get rid of it and go back to mechanical. Apparently all my issues were addressed with the new dura ace, but I dont feel like shelling out that kind of coin again on my CX bike.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I've been very happy with Shimano CX77 calipers and the BR-303 calipers I had before that. Used with both Shimano and SRAM levers. Just set it and forget it IME.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

If your OK with hybrid, I've had no issues with TRP hy/rd. I did buy compressionless brake cable housing for the install.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

pushstart

by pushstart

I have also heard good things about the Hy/Rd. Might be a good compromise.

Though from what you indicate you dislike about the Shimano hydros, the Spyres might also be a good fit. They definitely don't grab hard or quickly, which could be an advantage in cx context? I use them for road riding now and would prefer the harder + faster grab of the hydros.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I have been using a set of these Juin Tech R1's on my cx bike (SR-11) king/enve wheels. They are pretty amazing, close as straight hydro that I have found

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index ... -road.html

thprice

by thprice

pushstart wrote:TRP Spyres are probably about as good as it gets in the cable world....

:thumbup:

ms6073

by ms6073

mvacolnago wrote:I have been using a set of these Juin Tech R1's on my cx bike (SR-11) king/enve wheels.

I have used the SRAM BB7, Shimano, and TRP Spyre mechanical disc brake calipers on our cross bikes, and found the TRP to work best of the three, but pad wear was pretty severe when it was wet and muddy. Have since moved on to the Juin Tech paired with Shimano DA 9000 shifters and Shimano RT99 rotors which has much better modulation providing more confident braking. Now if Juin Tech would start offering an a Flatmount variant of the R1 caliper, I could finally build up my KTM Sky Revelator frameset without breaking the bank.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

pushstart

by pushstart

The Juin Tech look great. Maybe will do that as an interim upgrade for the road bike before I figure out whether to go Shimano or wait for eTap hydro [to get cheaper].

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Another vote for TRP Spyres.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

TRP spyres are my vote too. Very happy with them.
Ride it like you stole it

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

I 2nd the Juin Tech r1. I like the feel better than all the other cable ones I tried, even the spyre and hy/rd. I'm thinking about trying the x1 but it looks like the same brake as the r1 except with the shimano style finned pads. r1 weight appears to be the lightest of the options that i've found according to mfg specs. I never did weigh my set though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmh

by jmh

TRP Spyres!