Cannondale SuperX 2017 Photos Release

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hmai18

by hmai18

@DoubleD: Seriously, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions ahead of official release.

Good to hear about tire clearance. I'm on a 2015 SuperX and being limited to 33s in the back was one of my biggest complaints. Being able to throw in 40s is excellent news.

The fork looks like it's confirmed as 12mm thru, but both the renders and the photos make the rear a little ambiguous. Is is 12x42, or does the back end remain QR?

Geometry-wise, I'm on a 48 with an 80mm stem and not a lot of post showing already. The ST measurements look really long, but it also looks like there's quite a bit of extension above the TT, even more so than the current gen frames. Looking at the new geometry, it sounds like I'm slotting into the 51cm frame this time around?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

The old 48 was a bit shorter and lower then the new 51.

I was able to fit Clement MSO 40s on a SuperX 52 cantilever model. Maybe it was different for a 48?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doubleD

by doubleD

@hmai18, no problem! its always exciting to talk about new bikes. You guys will see full info on the bike soon, but I don't mind sharing certain info here before official release.
Front is 100x12 Maxle. Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld team was asking for the Maxle Stealth, without the lever, so you will see that in the specs too. If you want a lever, SRAM also offers Maxle lite with a lever. Out back is a Syntace 142x12 setup. Simple, straightforward and really well integrated. The RD hanger is also shared with a few other bikes, so its convenient.

For Geo on Current 48cm vs new 51cm. Stack is 6mm higher on the new bike and reach is 3mm longer. The standover is within 3mm, With the collarless design, you will get alittle more seatpost pullout. I would reccomend a 51cm.

adammac84

by adammac84

doubleD wrote:@hmai18, no problem! its always exciting to talk about new bikes. You guys will see full info on the bike soon, but I don't mind sharing certain info here before official release.
Front is 100x12 Maxle. Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld team was asking for the Maxle Stealth, without the lever, so you will see that in the specs too. If you want a lever, SRAM also offers Maxle lite with a lever. Out back is a Syntace 142x12 setup. Simple, straightforward and really well integrated. The RD hanger is also shared with a few other bikes, so its convenient.

For Geo on Current 48cm vs new 51cm. Stack is 6mm higher on the new bike and reach is 3mm longer. The standover is within 3mm, With the collarless design, you will get alittle more seatpost pullout. I would reccomend a 51cm.

doubleD. Thanks again for the teases and info on the new bikes. I am not going to ask you to size me, I promise! Just had a quick question regarding the new geo if you could indulge me.

I will not be able to test ride the new SuperX. We will order direct for the team as soon as they are released to dealers to get on them before CX season. I am a 58. By the numbers the 'new' 61 will fit very similar to the 'old' 58. My concern is the 1060 WB. 14mm longer than the previous (2016) bike.

Loved my 2016 58cm, but will shoehorn myself into the 58 if i needed to. I rolled the 58 with a 110, so could put a 120 on the 2017 58 and be pretty close. Curious if you had thoughts on how the new geo handled compared to previous SuperXs. And if you made any size considerations based on the WB/handling characteristics?

doubleD

by doubleD

Hi Adam,

I think you'll feel at home on the 61, especially if you are riding the 58 now and are riding a 60 EVO/caad12 or a 61 synapse. As you said, either of those sizes could be made to fit with stems. Check seat post extension and stand over before you decide. Don't be too nervous about wheelbase. The sum of the parts is important here. The bike has short chainstay and a longer front center, but this gives a good balance to stability vs responsiveness. Overall I'm really satisfied with the final geo on this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adammac84

by adammac84

Thanks. The mind-storm will continue, but I do appreciate that they accommodated the HTA with an increase in fork offset, trail numbers look good. Never worried about standover (even on my old ridleys). 85cm BB to saddle height, so we good there :).

Now just to wait for official product release. I am hoping it comes with the TDF this week!!!!

adammac84

by adammac84

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cannondale-nu ... cross-bike

dropped.

Now to see if the CaadX is same geo as superX. Article suggests it may be... in the past it was not

BSUdude

by BSUdude

Geo looks to be somewhat akin to the Focus CX bike that was redesigned a year or 2 ago w/ new geo. They also went to a slacker HT angle, but use a 45mm offset fork.

http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/ ... #chapter-3

BSUdude

by BSUdude

Regarding the rear wheel redishing: Given the claimed clearance for 40mm tires, I wonder if you could just run a normally dished wheel with a 33mm tire...it would just not be centered between the stays.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

This is what we've been doing here sometimes.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

DucHunter

by DucHunter

Sent this at a PM to @DoubleD, and then thought I should post it here just incase PM's are not checked....and to get others opinions.

I have a bit of a strange question. I want to get a SuperX, and have it so I can do Florida cross riding (not racing), which is basically gravel road riding, with a little sugar sand and some occasional single track......AND I want it to replace my Synapse Hi-Mod Disk (58) on the road. So most of its riding would be on the road. On my Synapse I run the 31mm Cannondale light under the 100mm stem. I also have a 2013 Evo that is a 60, ands on which my position works very well with also.

Looking at the SuperX it looks like the 58 and the 61 both could fit. The 61 seems to mimic the EVO 60 pretty close. My concerns really are...A) it looks like the 58 SuperX would need 30mm more spacers than the Synapse to get the same position, which seems like far too many (without flipping the stem, just to keep it simple). B) the geometry's are very different also, and the 58 X has 35mm longer wheelbase where as the 61 has a 48mm longer wheel base than either my EVO or my Synapse (which are the same). So how will a SuperX handle on the road, at speed and on decent (When I go to the Ga and NC mountains) on the road. Will it no be very nimble? Keep in mind most of the road riding it will do will be solo riding, though my Synapse does get into a few group rides who speeds are often over 25mph avg, and reaching 35mph at times (closing gaps at over 30).

Wheelbase wise I am leaning towards the 58 to keep it handling nice on the road. I do have a Cervelo S5 for very fast rides here on the flats of Fl, nd it gets ridden over the Synapse when I really want to haul the mail. For longer distance days, and going to Ga and NC for the mountains (on road), I am thinking the shorter wheelbase will be better handling. Stem spacer wise I am leaning towards the 61, it just seems to be so close to my 60 EVO.....but with that wheelbase will it handle like a truck on the road?

I know its hard to have a SuperX do both rolls.....any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

jeffy

by jeffy

Good to see Cannondale - not satisfied with BB30A (73mm road) have brought in BB30-83 Ai for the new SuperX.

AFAIK the Sram BB30 cranks can work with BB30A with the preload nut removed, but i guess that BB30-83 Ai rules that out.
Wether or not any 24mm Hollowtech crank will fit who knows? ...... but then there is no technical detail about what BB30-83 Ai ACTUALLY IS

grover

by grover

BB30-83 is 46mm diamter for PF30 style bottom bracket. It is 83mm wide but offset 5mm to the non-drive side. Think of it as a 73mm wide shell with 10mm added to the non-drive side.

The Ai part relates to the chainline required to line up with the Ai (offset/dishless) rear wheel. The chainline needs to be 6mm wider to be perfect.

I fitted a SRAM Force1 BB30 crankset with a Quarq spider. The non-drive side crank bolt says 'do not disassemble'. I disassembled and removed the spindle. I measured it as 118mm.

Luckily I had a 124mm spindle laying around (Cannondale and SRAM use the same interface so different length spindles are easy to come by in Cannondale spares). By installing that spindle I effectively push the chainline 3mm wider. So I added 3mm chainring spacers between the ring and the spider. To actually install the crankset into the bottom bracket I didn't utilise the preload ring that comes on SRAM cranks. Just spacers and a wavy washer like on Cannondale Hollowgram cranks.

Of course this pushes the q-factor wider by 6mm to 151mm (6mm longer spindle) but that's still narrower than the stock q-factor of 155mm.

I'm using a 1x drivetrain so it's a little less sensitive to chainline. If you were using a 2x drivetrain you'd want to get it perfect just by using a longer spindle as chainring spacers wouldn't be possible. In that case you need a 130mm spindle and your q-factor would be 157mm.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to install a SRAM crankset when you've already got Cannondale Hollowgram cranks, except that I wanted to use a Quarq I already owned.

maxima

by maxima

Guys: Need some advice here as I'm getting my 1st Cyclocross Bike.

I've narrow down to 2017 Cannondale SuperX, but the geometry seems ready weird.

I ride a 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo in size 52. My Ideal fit is stand-over 78.5 max, Centre BB to Top of Saddle is 74.3cm, Top tube 53.5 with 100mm/110mm stem, Seat tube about 52-53cm(BB to top of seat tube). My head tube is 12.5cm.

Looking at the 2017 Cannondale SuperX Geometry, it seems that I'm neither size 51 nor 54 !!!

The size 54 has Stand-Over of 80.2 which is too high and size 51 has head tube of 11cm, which is very aggressive!!!!

Any advice? It seems the head tube is very aggressive for a the new 2017 SuperX? more so than SuperSix road race frame? Did Cannondale make a mistake? I'm new to cyclocross, most of the other other brands i see has tall had tube and short seat/top tube!!

Thank You, Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwrncc

by lwrncc

maxima wrote:Guys: Need some advice here as I'm getting my 1st Cyclocross Bike.

I've narrow down to 2017 Cannondale SuperX, but the geometry seems ready weird.

I ride a 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo in size 52. My Ideal fit is stand-over 78.5 max, Centre BB to Top of Saddle is 74.3cm, Top tube 53.5 with 100mm/110mm stem, Seat tube about 52-53cm(BB to top of seat tube). My head tube is 12.5cm.

Looking at the 2017 Cannondale SuperX Geometry, it seems that I'm neither size 51 nor 54 !!!

The size 54 has Stand-Over of 80.2 which is too high and size 51 has head tube of 11cm, which is very aggressive!!!!

Any advice? It seems the head tube is very aggressive for a the new 2017 SuperX? more so than SuperSix road race frame? Did Cannondale make a mistake? I'm new to cyclocross, most of the other other brands i see has tall had tube and short seat/top tube!!

Thank You, Pete

Your 52 EVO has a stack and reach of 526/384mm.

A 51 SuperX 2017 is 535/371mm.

So it is actually less aggressive than your 52 EVO in terms of fitting.

If you match the stack of your EVO, the SuperX has ~1cm shorter reach.

A 54 SuperX is 555/378mm. It is possible to get the same fit with your EVO, you might have to slam your stem.

If standover is important to you, you should get the 51 SuperX.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/