New build, which group to use???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jrobart

by jrobart

Embarking on a new build -- for no other reason than I just got a GREAT DEAL on a '14 Specialized S Works Crux Disc frame/fork/seatpost. I'm a little all over the map when it comes to components on my other bikes.

Seven Axiom SL: 2015 Campy Record and Super Record 11
Seven Mudhoney SL: 2014 Campy Athena EPS
Fondriest Carbon Magister: SRAM Red 10 Speed
Cannonade Fat CAAD 1: 2016 SRAM XO

So what to do with this build. The bike will likely join the Fondriest up in Vermont at a second home so will be used as a weekend/vacation bike on a year-round basis primarily on gravel rides/races and the bad weather road bike. If you're not familiar with Northern Vermont, there's LOTS of climbing.

Only components for sure are HED Belgium Plus wheels built around DT 240 hubs, Zipp Contour SL bars and ENVE stem.

I welcome any suggestions.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Well if its not going to be specifically used for CX racing you can spec it a little differently. The HED's are pretty perfect for gravel/cx and will work well with wider gravel tyres. If you are doing a tonne of climbing maybe stick with compact as the standard 46 used on most cx rigs might be a bit frustrating on downhill. Ui2 would suit pretty well if you don't want to swap over the athena EPS onto this.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

If you are going mechanical, SRAM hydro. If electronic, go Shimano Di2 hydro. With a disc bike, don't mess around with anything else, especially mechanical discs.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Shimano Ul Di2 6870.
Works great for gravel!

None issues actually. To tell you the truth, i had one really shitty situation.
But the shifting worked great, what clogged up was the brakes (mud, stones and crap)!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jrobart

by jrobart

Thanks, i'm really leaning toward the Ultegra Di2. I just have to come to terms with the cost though as I have enough left over Campy SR, Record and Chorus parts to build the bike, but then I can only go with mechanical brakes and can't get a 32 on the back.

Pricing out Ultegra Di2 now.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

duende

by duende

There's quite a few folks out there running Shimano 32 casette with Campy drivetrain. Do a search.

I'm building up a gravel this way with Chorus. Nothing against Sram or Shimano... Just prefer Campy shifters.

Birdman

by Birdman

SRAM eTap Hydro??? If you are willing to wait.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

jrobart

by jrobart

Good call on getting a 11-32 to work with Campy. Ordered an IRD cassette this morning. For the moment I'll make a go of it with the leftover Campy components I have sitting in the garage, but no doubt that Di2 or e Tap will be my b-day present to myself next Spring.

bkw

by bkw

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not that this question was aimed at me^, but i was originally planning to use Sram Force CX1.
Why do you suggest X1 over CX1?

I was talking to the guys at Open aswell as started a thread at WW.
Most suggest i was better off using 2*11.
I have never regret that decision (UL Di2).

It's great to have a more linear ratio and i also find big and small chainring both are used extensively.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com