Carbon-ti x-lock nut/insert for fork without thread

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

Hi, I've just picked up a Carbon-ti X-Lock 15mm RS Thru Axle but have hit a problem as my forks dont have a thread and require a nut.
My current heavy qr has one like the image below, but the thread pitch is different so I'm looking for a rockshox specific nut.
Syntace have a 12mm insert for rear axles which looks perfect Image
anyone know of a 15mm version?
If not I might have to visit a local machine shop.
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

check out pro-bolt or other motorcycle hardware resources.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Did you find anything? I'm wondering about the same thing.

thprice

by thprice

+1
I suspect there are many wanting light and reputable 100*15 and 142*12 thru axles with nuts but there seems to be little if any available.
Any knowledge would be gratefully received.

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

Bad news, I found nothing, except 15mm isnt a standard bolt/nut size except for car sumps.
I've dropped a mail to a couple of machinists, I'll let you know what they say and what price they would be.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks. Do you know what threading your current nut uses? Is it M15x1.5 or M15x1.0 maybe? And is it hollow all the way though? Would love a nut with M15x1.0 threading, to use with Extralite's Magura axle. I've found that the threading on some gun barrels is M15x1.0, and that you can buy a thread protector for these. Problem is, I have only found steel ones in this size.

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

Again bad news, it M15x2. I can find axles with M15x1 or M15x1.5 but none with M15x2 so i could reuse my current bolt.

On the plus side a friend who makes his own carbon bikes got back to me and said it might be worth 3d printing the bolt with a threaded insert.
He's on holiday at the moment, but i'll let you know when I get further with it.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Any idea where one can get threaded inserts of that size, that won't rotate inside the 3D-printed part?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

This nut might be an option? It's probably M14x1.5 pitch (If that's the case, it should work with a Fox axle), but I'm not sure. JRbicycles.com didn't know either. I've sent Redline an email, but they haven't got back to me yet (hopefully they will). If getting a new axle is an option, you should check out the axles from Shift-Up. I might end up using the Suntour version from them myself, but the super light weight Extralite is more tempting. Anyone now if nylon nuts compress much? Or would they work fine for this application? From what I've seen, at this dimension they can handle the maximum torque of 10Nm, but of course that won't help much if they compress a lot.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Could you take a picture of the two axle's threads, side by side? Your thread pattern seems to be much closer to 1.5 pitch than on my axle, but it's probably just the picture.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Good news! This axle is delivered with a M15*1.5 axle nut;) Worth letting you know that I did not ask a leading question like "Is this nut M15x1.5 threaded?", since a lot of Chinese sellers really doesn't understand the questions. My exact question to the seller was "What thread pitch does this axle use? M15x1.0, M15x1.5 or M15x2.0?", of which the seller replied, M15x1.5.

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

Superb find, I've ordered one too, the thread pitch looks closer to my carbon-ti axle and its worth the risk at $18.
Now we just have to wait 20-40 days to find out....

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

quick update on my rear axle.
My AliExpress Farnear M12 Maxle thru axle turned up today and works fine with one of these
http://www.jejamescycles.com/whyte-maxle-nut-for-m109-t129-g150-drive-side-wap5251.html
its 10g heavier than stated at 46g, but still drops 50g from the unreliable QR I got from Miraclebikes.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Still waiting for your axle I guess? I've ordered one myself, but really can't wait to find out if it's going to work;P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com