need advice on wheels..

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

addict

by addict

1. Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclocross/30 ... elset.html
1505 gr; $900
2. Mavic
http://www.mavic.com/wheels-road-triath ... sc-allroad
1620 gr; $800

No need to say, that I want wider carbon rims and star ratchet hubs.. But mavics new instant drive hubs now the same tech and located at LBS and no need to solve logistic and payment problems)
Help to make right decision pls :)

Marin

by Marin

If you want to be able to service the wheels easily don't go with Mavics.

But - don't go with straight pull spokes either :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Marin wrote:If you want to be able to service the wheels easily don't go with Mavics.

I kind of disagree. Yes, Mavic use proprietary parts and technology and you can't bodge a job out of generic parts, but their wheels are generally very easy to service and repair. For instance I think anyone can build a pair or R-SYS wheels in an hour or so, simply following the LEGO-like instructions. Spares are expensive, but normally available.

As for the OP, I had the star ratchet system with a DT Hugi hub... I liked it and it was easy enough to service, but I never thought it was intrinsically better than the more traditional pawls/springs/ratchet design... just different

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The issue is the availability of mavic parts. Mavic does not deal directly with customers and most shops don't stock 5 years worth of spokes and nipples for the entire range of mavic wheels and pretty much never have rims. Meaning that rebuilding the wheels is often costly and takes longer to source the parts.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

kulivontot wrote:The issue is the availability of mavic parts. Mavic does not deal directly with customers and most shops don't stock 5 years worth of spokes and nipples for the entire range of mavic wheels and pretty much never have rims. Meaning that rebuilding the wheels is often costly and takes longer to source the parts.

true, rims are hard to source, but that is true for all factory wheels. My point was more in the "ease of service" sense, rather than rebuilding. Some spare parts have been the same for ages... freehubs are easy to source, the same cannot be said for other brands.

In the UK "behind the bikeshed" stock a huge range of Mavic spares and what they don't have, they can source from France

addict

by addict

Finally got syncros rp1.0 disk and farsports 25x30 clincher on dt240 hubs.. Now time to test both)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com