Carbon Pannier Rack on Kickstarter - Tailfin

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

by 9734344

I saw this on the GCN show last week

It is on Kickstarter and called the tailfin. It weighs 275g

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ta ... d-panniers

The projects lasts till the end of the month on Kickstarter but the funding goal has already been reached. It's around £150 for just the rack. They will make lightweight panniers aswell but you should be able to use any pannier on it.
Last edited by 9734344 on Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

skimaxpower

by skimaxpower

Interesting concept, but at 275g, it's actually heavier than a 230g Tubus Airy titanium rack. Moreover, it's missing some features I require in a rear rack, including standard 50mm light mounting brackets and lowrider mounting points.

Truth be told, I think there's more need in the market for high quality ultralight panniers than a carbon rack. I like the bags!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohnJ80

by JohnJ80

skimaxpower wrote:Interesting concept, but at 275g, it's actually heavier than a 230g Tubus Airy titanium rack. Moreover, it's missing some features I require in a rear rack, including standard 50mm light mounting brackets and lowrider mounting points.

Truth be told, I think there's more need in the market for high quality ultralight panniers than a carbon rack. I like the bags!

Looking through this belatedly, I think you need to add 120g for the mounting hardware for the Airy per the Tubus website. So if the 275g is complete, then the tail fin is lighter and also easier to remove.

Adding an Airy to a racing geometry frame is tricky. You'd also likely have to add the kit that raises the rack up and back 25mm in order to avoid your heels hitting the panniers. I had to do that on when I added the Airy rack to my cross bike. I don't think that weight is included in the Airy mounting hardware weight too. It's a fairly heavy piece with one for each side.

markdjr

by markdjr

The tailfin has been working great for me with the bonus of being able to easily move it between bikes. I just backed their kickstarter for the new trunk bag as well. Tailfins product and support have all been top notch for me so far.

bilwit

by bilwit

but.... why?

markdjr

by markdjr

bilwit wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:56 pm
but.... why?
Why what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓