Gravel & CX crash protection?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone of you using protection for hips, knees, elbows?

If so, what is the slimmest possible?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

How often are you crashing that you are considering protection?
In my limited experience going down in cross is usually slow speed, grass, mud or soft surface.
Never crashed in a gravel ride and I've been on some gnarly roads.

Companies like Nike and Mcdavid make Hex Padded compression base layers (tops, bottoms, arm and legs sleeves) for American Football / Basketball players. They have different garmets for all areas of protection. Shoulders, ribs, sternum, spine, hips, quads, knees, shins, fore arms, elbows, etc.

Miller

by Miller

MTBing especially downhilling offers some protective clothing options but it's probably overkill for this application.

As the post above says, in an actual CX race you're usually on a softish surface. As for gravel, I did a longish gravel event 10 days ago and wasn't aware of anyone actually crashing although heaven knows there were endless opportunities to come off. The more technical it is, the slower you're likely to be going.

I think you'd be better off not worrying about this aspect of the sport. You can't ride a bike a lot without coming off sometime but it's just as likely to be where you least expect it as anywhere 'dangerous'.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, corner crashed on tarmac which appeared to be all gravel/ pebbles in apex. Did not see that due to lots of trees.

It was so quick there was no time for reflexes. A few cracked ribs and scuffs at hand, elbow, shoulder, hip and leg.
Not funny!

I was out on a far out experience and thought i was going to take a dive and that got me thinking.

I am often riding solo + i'd rather save the bike and take the blow.
I just ordered the thinnest elbox and knee protection i could find. If it is slim enough and don't overheat me or prevent me from moving, i think it's not a bad idea. It's clearly much worse if you do crash where there is hardly no-one to see you.

But sure, it's not that i find it a subject i usually like to think of. But if there is protection that is so thin and slim it is not making me bulky or look like a ice hockey player, i am probably on!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mattr

by mattr

Just ride at 9/10ths when you are unsure of the conditions.

You hit a corner unsighted and crashed. It happens. Just go slower if you are unsighted.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I ran the protection at one occasion. The knee protection is a bit large for me at medium.
So it kind of moves.

But it was good using them as i tipped over. No bruises which is always good.

Sixsixone also got a few very thin versions. Perhaps better looking into this when it's not so hot!

Anyway, i kind of find it is a gap talking thin protection. If it is really slim it's a good thing.
If you actually fall/ crash or similar riding solo away from people you could be stuck in a bad condition.

It seems to me, a good idea to wear some thin versions in such occasions.
People who race are having doctors and people around them, so there should be less risk for them getting banged up and stuck somewhere alone.

There probably are plenty of you guys riding solo. Have you ever thought what you would do if you fell and hurt yourself rather badly?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Oswald

by Oswald

wheelsONfire wrote:There probably are plenty of you guys riding solo. Have you ever thought what you would do if you fell and hurt yourself rather badly?

Since I'm a father, I think about it a lot. I used to be very smooth on a mtb, a friend of mine used to say I looked like a monkey swinging from tree to tree when riding my mtb downhill (I'm sure he meant it as a compliment :mrgreen: ) But now I don't feel confident anymore. Probably a combination of age and parenthood. My advice would be to not think too much about it. It will only make you less smooth.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't ride less smooth Ozzy!
I actually ride without my protection, i think i need tighter size + it's so hot here now.
I do think it is a good idea if i would actually crash when riding solo.
I am a bit estranged that it's not on the radar, designing thin gravel/cx specific protectors.
Knee, hip elbow should be ideal.
I mean, all this talk of helmets and MIPS, ... but nothing on rest of body.
A thin protection is sufficent i believe.

These for example are good:

http://www.raceface.com/products/detail ... leg-guards

http://www.raceface.com/products/detail ... arm-guards

and also Sixsixone Exo elbox guard and Exo knee/shin guard.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mattr

by mattr

wheelsONfire wrote:Have you ever thought what you would do if you fell and hurt yourself rather badly?
No.
The chances of having a crash that bad are minuscule. I've been riding 30 years and had one crash that bad, and i still got out, and got home (dislocated knee). Most of the riders i ride with are at about the same rate. One really bad crash every 25 years.
And TBH, if you want protection that will protect you from serious injury that will stop you getting out and getting help (broken bones, dislocations) you'll need hardshell body armour. Pads are only really any good for mitigating against bruising and gravel rash. Which is unlikely to be anymore than extremely uncomfortable.

So you'll have to carry several kilos of restrictive padding and armour to prevent the damage caused in something like one crash every 25 years. If you carry soft pads, they won't actually do what you think they'll do, you'll still have a broken leg. Just wrapped in padding.

You are overthinking this. Or possibly not actually thinking about it at all.

You'll be better off learning how to not fall off and ride to the conditions. TBH, the chafing you are eventually going to experience from wearing pads that aren't really designed for what you are doing will probably be worse than the gravel rash.........

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Oki
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

scssfg45

by scssfg45

Doesn’t seem like padding would do much good in a case where being alone is a concern (broken bones or worse). You need actual rigidity and/or distribution or deflection of force. Or maybe a hips, shoulders, and back version of that airbag helmet.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think this subject came out unclear from my side.

It seems you guys interpret i was talking of something saving us from hard crash!?

I was not. Some of these body armours you mention here is similar to what is used riding motorcycles (which i have done).
I am amazed the armour seems just as thick and robust as when riding a race bike (motorcycle).
Motorcycles achieves speeds with excess of 2-300Km/h when talking road race bikes.

I was suggesting a thin layer damping protection to save you from tearing skin biking in 20-40km/h, especially when riding solo.

This thought came up since i remember a crash i had 20 years ago riding a MTB after rain.
I crashed riding over a wet root.
I smashed my head in a stone. Luckily i had a helmet and it cracked in two.
Some small stones and roots penetrated the skin on my leg and arm.
I think that a thin protection had prevented this.
I have seen people crash at motorcycles using just thin inlays in pants and jackets.
These small protections saved them from bad burns and tear in skin.
Not nice and certainly not if you are alone in woods or country side.

Ofcourse none of use would like to ride with huge body armour, for reasons you all know.
I merely tried to suggest a thin and light wear that prevents some degree of bodily damage.
But in all honesty, i have not worn those thin protectors i bought.
I would need tighter version on knee.

I still find that it's not a bad idea.
But i don't urge to keep a discussion rolling when it comes down to suggestions saying i can't ride a bike.
So i guess it's up to each of us to decide.
Once you see a crash or worse you are in one, you might reconsider.

I always ride solo, so maybe i think a bit differently.
I also know that when i ride, i sometimes get carried away and speed is fun :)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

GMF

by GMF

Having earned some crutches and 3 screws in my femur recently due to some sketchy roadie wiping out in front of me in a cross race (first, and now last, of the season), I can say I've definitely thought about armor for cross racing. Definitely not the rigid stuff I was wearing when riding the North Shore trails up in Canada. Something lighter, more breathable and flexible for sure.
Unfortunately, there isn't much of a market for this for roadies/crossers. However, the good news is that there does seem to be some cool soft padding that firms up when impacted that is starting to come out for the XC crowd. I haven't tried this, yet, but will be looking into it in the future.
My accident was indeed a freak accident, but 3 months off the bike is going to suuuuck, and I'm willing to dork it up a bit if it prevents that from happening again in the future, not to mention the negative impact on the wife, kids, time off burned, etc.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sorry to read that GMF. I swap tires back and forth and did not remember that my G-Ones does not like loose gravel, cornering in too high speed.
I almost crashed but luckily i did not. I could swear my protection had helped me out and yes! It's just like you see, they are soft and firms up a bit if you crash.

I don't see why this is not on more peoples radar. Perhaps they need to take a dive into a ditch or on the loose gravel.
Perhaps i should remember which tires are simply not suited for loose gravel and corners :o

Hope you heal up well after those battle bruises.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

OP, check out G-Form flexible armor:

http://g-form.com/en/shop-sport/bike/