Lynskey ProCross or Cooper for gravel bike races

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lookbiker

by Lookbiker

Hi,
I'm looking at a Lynskey ProCross frame with their #4 fork for mostly gravel bike races. I'm using an older canti frame right now.

The specs look decent but the bb drop is 656. Is that a little high for stability on fast gravel descents? Does anyone have experience with this frame (or the Cooper which has identical geometry)?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Any reason you are not talking to Lynskey about a custom option?
They are a top notch builder and seem to have good client service so ask them directly for their thoughts.
Let us know the outcome.

Lookbiker

by Lookbiker

Thanks for the custom option but that adds significantly to the cost

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I've previously ridden a 2010 alloy Giant TCX and currently use a Trek Crockett on many gnarly gravel descents in the western North Carolina mountains, on training rides and races, both with cantilever breaks. Never seems to feel sketchy based on the geometry. I'm not sure of the BB drop on the Giant, but my Crockett has a BB drop of only 6.5 cm for my size 58. Most people i ride with still run cyclocross bikes which are known for having a small BB drops, but I never hear anyone talk about DD Drop being an issue.

Like previously mentioned, get in touch with Lynskey and ask them the same questions, how the BB Drop on their frames will effect gravel riding and descents. You could also ask for some insight as to how they decided on the final numbers for their geometry charts.

Lookbiker

by Lookbiker

Thanks for that information. I called Lynskey before I posted the question. They said it was a great gravel bike but then again they are trying to sell a bike

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Lynskey can boast like that. They have deep experience and feedback from years in the biz.

Lookbiker

by Lookbiker

I've had a Lynskey Helix for seven years. I'm very familiar with their build quality and marketing, both very good. Just wanted to get firsthand experience about using their cross models for gravel bike races

Lookbiker

by Lookbiker

Thanks. Going for the ProCross. Lots of decent ti cross/gravel bikes out there (Foundry Overland, Litespeed T5g, REN., at the better price point than the excellent bikes made by Moots, Seven, Firefly.....)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Late to reply, but I have a procross I use for gravel and commuting. I run the cowbell2 a little wider than the road bike and it is fantastic on the flat single track I can catch on the way home. Very stiff in the BB. My only ding against it is the stupid cable routing they do along the top tube. You have to use zip ties and no matter how you do it, they will catch your knee at some point. I would say my favorite thing about it is the 142x12 rear axle. I went with the 15mm thru axle front as well. No regrets at all. If possible, wait till the fall. A full Ultegra bike was $300 more than just the frame/fork. Mine is posted on the Lynskey performance Enthusiasts Facebook page.