Any issues with Challenge cyclocross tires?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I recently purchased a Jamis Renegade Elite. The wheelset is American Classic Argent Road Disc Tubeless (rim 19.4 internal - 22 external).
I wanted to put Challenge Gravel Grinder Pro open tubulars on it (36c).

After reading http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=138164&p=1216605#p1216605, I'm starting to doubt if this is a good idea...
However, the topic is mainly about tires in the 23c - 30c range.

What do you guys thinks of 36c Gravel Grinders on the above mentioned rims? Any bad experiences?
Also, someone with Strada Bianca 30c experience on 19c internal rim width?

Thanks!

Marin

by Marin

I ran Strada Biancas for a few months on Velocity A23s and on 18c carbon clinchers without problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

All my bad experiences with Challenge have been on road tubulars.
The casing just seems to be made out of a lower end cotton, that weakens (cotton fiber "rips") from certain areas at around the 1000 km mark. A bulge starts to appear in the tub. I had systematically 3 Challenge Criterium, and one Triathlon tubular with that same "short life" happen.
Also have 3 or 4 Challenge clincher tires on some wheels, two of them, Challenge Triathlon 23mm, have more than 3000 km and are still nice, besides the rolling band being use to "the ropes".
So I suspect it's either a bad batch, or Challenge is using some cotton fabric that's fine for lower pressure tires or CX tubulars, but the cloth is just not well suited to the higher pressures of road tubulars.

My 2 cents... :beerchug:

Louis :)

hmai18

by hmai18

I wonder whether typical "road" inflation pressures have anything to do with it. I ran Challenge Baby Limus tires on my race wheels during CX season without issue, but pressures never exceeded 35psi. If you're planning on running a nice high-volume tire, you're probably going to want them at low(er) pressures anyway.

Just something to consider.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Thanks.
You could be right hmai18.
I don't think the relatively quicker wear of the side wall can explain unexpected blow-outs on even newer tires.

Intended use for the Gravel Grinders would be, well, gravel. Mainly for the likes of the Strada dell'Assietta and similar this summer.
Website states 45-130 psi for the Gravel Grinders. I weigh 81-83 kg without gear, so I figure I won't be able to go any lower than 50 psi...

Intended use for the Strada Bianca's would be rough asphalt and a bit of cobblestones from time to time.
Website states 90-130 psi. Might get in trouble here then? For 80+ kg of a 30c tire, I think they're right in saying 90 psi is the minimum...

stormur

by stormur

pressures given by Challenge are... irrelevant ;) . Had Grifo for a long time. 1 puncture only ( 2 seasons, gravel. forest paths... ), really reasonable wearing off , IMO best all round off road tire in 700c. Only issue is "settle" tire on rim. Start from low pressure ( 1-2bar) and increase 1 bar per 24h. I rode R3bar, F2,5bar max, usually 2,5/2 , on latex tubes exclusively.

Would I recommend them : Yes, Would I buy it again : yes.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

hmai18

by hmai18

stormur wrote:pressures given by Challenge are... irrelevant ;)

^This. Experiment with your own pressures until you balance rolling resistance vs avoiding pinch flats.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

Just don't try to run them tubeless. I did and it only worked for about a month. After that they stretched and would hold air. Switched back to tubes and love em.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

Edit : they wouldn't hold air as tubeless after they stretched.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Used them for CX and didn't find them very durable. Had several where the tub separated from the base layer. Quite a well known problem with Challenge CX tyres.

stormur

by stormur

It happens when tire is veery old. Previously they used different glue. Nowadays issue is non existant. What is excellent in Challenge is grip & suppleness. Impeccable. High tpi casing made it's work. After initial pressure set up no issues at all. When very worn start to flat like crazy - sign for change ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

jdecraene85 wrote:Website states 90-130 psi. Might get in trouble here then? For 80+ kg of a 30c tire, I think they're right in saying 90 psi is the minimum...
I'm a similar weight to you and running 28s at 90 psi in a bone jarring experience, i'm down to 75 ish now and they actually ride quite nicely. Sidewall pressures are for the most part just there to cover the manufacturers arse.

I'd not even entertain riding a tyre that big at that sort of pressure unless i was nearer 120 kilos......