Carbon fork for cross/gravel build (mind made up, but now the other parts...)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Casati

by Casati

Hi all,

In the summer I'm going to a framebuilding course, where I'm planning to build a steel cyclocross/gravelracer frame. I won't build the fork myself, so I'm looking into carbon forks for disc brakes.

However, virtually every fork I can find has a carbon steerer and carbon dropouts and I'm wondering if that is a good idea for this type of bike. Has anyone got any thoughts on this, or suggestions for good forks that (preferably) don't cost a fortune?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1039 met Tapatalk
Last edited by Casati on Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike- ... =luteus-ii

Looking at the builders i have spoken to, they all use carbon forks.
These builders build only titanium and steel frames.
I have a few forks at home now, about 4 or 5. Ordered a new bike and that will come with the Luteus Team.
I also got a Rigida Team here. It's great forks! Don't worry!
It's also a thought out construction, so you won't go wrong on this one.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I think you would be good with any reputable carbon fork such as 3T, ENVE, or Parlee. Be aware most use tapered steerers so plan for that with either a 44mm or tapered headtube on the build. You can minimize the impact of the carbon dropouts with a thru axle set up.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

Casati

by Casati

Thanks for the info! But a thru axle also requires a thru axle specific fork, right? And would Columbus and Kinesis also be viable options? They are slightly more budget-friendly than Enve or 3T...

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Yes, you could use a QR fork but was looking for a way to mitigate your concerns about carbon dropouts. I'm not super familiar with the Columbus or Kinesis forks but guessing they would work. I would definitely reccomend a tapered steerer if you are planning disc, gravel frame. The main advantage you get with 3T or ENVE is a stiffer and lighter fork. If the rake is similar, you could always build around a cheaper fork and upgrade later if you like.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

Casati

by Casati

Ah, ok, I see. Is a thru axle that much safer/more reliable that a QR fork? I will go for a tapered steerer, then, but I believe most of the forks I've come across have a tapered steerer.

Marin

by Marin

A few years ago the MTB world ran 100mm and longer suspension forks with standard quick releases. My park bike still has a QR in the rear. You don't need through axles if you don't want to deal with the downsides (new wheels, unsure standards, slow wheel changes).

If you run several wheelsets, don't think having through axles with prevent the rotors from rubbing because they won't.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Agreed thru axles aren't a must but more and more gravel/CX bikes are going that direction.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

SourceForce

by SourceForce

U didn't mention what kind of breaks u would mount. If Canti's ill recomend u take some fork with integrated Brake Cable Hanger. Forks with no Brake Cable Hanger tend to create alllllot of vibration's. It can be little scarry. I fixed vibration problem with break pads toe-in. Now they "squik" but vibrations r gone

Casati

by Casati

I did, actually: It's going to have disc brakes. ;-)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If i were you, i would go for through axles, 15*100 and 12*142 rear. This is what will be the deal.
It's better with through axles if you run disc. It should void the need of spacing the discs.

Columbus forks are used by some manufacturing expensive frames which Kinesis isn't.

So Columbus must be rather good. You also should consider that the fork blades are reinforced where it matters, to handle that stress from the braking with discs.

I suppose most disc forks are made like this, but i am not sure. If not, the fork will probably not be so funny if you brake hard while descending!

If you build a frame with a 44mm diameter head tube. You should consider this.
If you run a head set with an external cup for tapered forks, the external cup will stick out below the headtube.

Take this under consideration when you build. Or the bikes geometry will become altered.

So, perhaps it's best checking out what headset you would use

https://www.chrisking.com/product/inset-7/

https://www.chrisking.com/product/inset-8/

https://www.chrisking.com/bicycle/cross ... pe=headset

You would need to deduct the length of the external cup of the headset, from the bottom of the headtube when you count at geometry.

As seen below, the stack height of inset 7 and 8 lower part assembly, is 14.00mm.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ck-w ... -Specs.pdf
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Casati

by Casati

So, I've made my mind up about the fork: It's going to be an Enve CX, as this has a 12mm thru axle, proven quality and my framebuilder has worked with these forks before. I briefly considered the new GRD, but can't see how a carbon fender and a flat mount brake option merit the extra 250 euros. Axle to crown is also a bit shorter on the GRD, but I suppose I won't notice that that much...

Anyways, the bike will get a Rival groupset (or a Force if money allows and there are good reasons for spending the extra cash), but at the moment I'm looking at the wheels. I'm going to build those myself too, but am in doubt about hubs and rims.

For the hubs I'm looking at DTSwiss 350, but should a bike like this have a 135mm or 142mm rear hub? And are the 350s a good option, or are there better options (Hope, for example)?

Same thing goes for the rims. I've been looking at DTSwiss, but am open to other suggestions. They need to be aluminium, though, and preferably not too exotic.

What I want to build are wheels that are both strong and light. All suggestions are highly appreciated! :D

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

http://www.ryde.nl/pulse-comp-disc

With these you can mount from 25-40mm wide tires.
I tried a few and i prefer wider for gravel.

I would use 15*100 / 12*142.
Through axle is great!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Casati

by Casati

Hadn't even thought of Ryde, thanks for the tip! As the frame will be Dutch, having some Dutch parts on it would be nice. :-) I'll have a look at them and see about availability, as the ones I can find online at the moment all have an internal width of 15mm, so I will really need the 2016 OS version. Other options at the moment are Pacenti SL25 (but availability over here might be an issue), DT 460DB or 511DB or H Plus Son Archetype, which I had on a (now stolen...) bike and absolutely loved.

I'll go for 12*142 for the rear wheel then, but it'll have to be 12*100 for the front as the Enve CX doesn't come in 15*100.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A pity that you could not get 15*100.
Why didn't you go for 3T Luteus II fork?
I have that and it's 15*100. You can also fit very wide tires and even 650B wheels with 55mm tires!

Yeah, that Ryde rim is very light! Hope you share some pictures once the bike/ frame is ready :wink:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com