Tubeless Adventure Cross Tyre Reccomendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi

Apologies if there are similar threads out there but I am after tubeless tyre recommendations for adventure cross events. I started riding cross racing over the winter but this was on full knobblys (Spec Terra Pro Tubeless) which were very good. Now the season is over I'm looking to do some longer events and I have the Clif Cross and Moors and Shores rides coming up. They appear to be a mix of road, gravel track, bridleway and grass, and at this time of year probably mud.

If it weren't for the road stuff I would possibly stick with the Terra Pros but they are sluggish on road and with summer coming on probably not the best for when the trails dry out. So I am after a do it all tyre that will get me through the spring, when things are still drying out, and be ok for long on / off road rides.

I've ridden tubeless on my road bike for years and love em. No failures, at least none that Stan's fluid hasn't resolved. So off road I definately want to keep the tubeless theme going. I will be mounting on Kinesis CrossLight or Pacenti SL25 rims - so should be good for most tyres I think.

I seen really good feedback on WTB Nano 40c, but they do seem a a little weighty, although probably very robust. The WTB Cross Boss is lighter and still gets good feed back.

Also looked at Kenda Block Eight Pro and Happy Mediums as well as Hutchinson Black Mambas.

There appear to be other options like the Clement X'plor MSO but I don't think the tubeless version is out yet. I know a lot of folk run non tubeless tyres converted. I Would probably be happy with this for a cross event but I am likely to run higher pressures on a long event because of the road sections and therefore I am a little nervous about blow off's.

So can you help me decide. Any feedback or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

stoney

by stoney

A friend of mine runs the WTB Cross Boss tubeless for gravel races. He loves them. I've heard the Clement MSO tubeless should be ready to sell next month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

I have the Nanos. Love em. Yes they are heavyish, but great feel and speed. I'm surprised how quick mine feel.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

Maxxis Rambler 40mm?

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going down the WTB route. Still couldn't decide whether to go for Nanos or Cross Bosses (both get good reviews) so I ordered both with the intention of sending back one set. Tried mounting up the Cross Bosses first. One went on well but the other had air pissing out of the centre line of the tyre. Looks like the carcass has not been properly applied.

So I tried the nanos instead. Went on very easily (The Cross Bosses was a bit harder). Pumped up straight off - no problem. Front went in fine but the rear was very tight on my Specilized Crux. Did a ride road ride on them today 45psi rear 40psi front and they are very sure footed and smooth - I will run them lower when doing mixed terrain stuff). No issue with handling, braking and they do roll well. But there was a lot of climbing on my route today, just over 1,000m in 27 miles, and I certainly felt the extra weight going uphill.

Apart from the weight they are a great tyre but this point has got me thinking about how the Cross Bosses would have performed. Given I am expecting to do events with a lot of climbing in does weight trump a good rolling tyre in events that have a mix or road and off road terrain?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I really like the Specialized Trigger Pro, they are great on dirt trails, gravel, and road. They roll really well. You can get them in 33 and 38.

sparky33

by sparky33

SgtRock wrote:I seen really good feedback on WTB Nano 40c, but they do seem a a little weighty, although probably very robust. The WTB Cross Boss is lighter and still gets good feed back.

Also looked at Kenda Block Eight Pro and Happy Mediums as well as Hutchinson Black Mambas.

There appear to be other options like the Clement X'plor MSO but I don't think the tubeless version is out yet. I know a lot of folk run non tubeless tyres converted. I Would probably be happy with this for a cross event but I am likely to run higher pressures on a long event because of the road sections and therefore I am a little nervous about blow off's.

I ran the new MSO 36s tubeless on a VT gravel ride this weekend and was extremely pleased - the MSOs are reasonably quick on roads with plenty of float and bite on dirt and trails. The Nano is a burlier tire while the Black Mamba is clearly a light duty tire. G-One's are really nice too, zippier than the MSOs due to the diminutive but effective knobs.
These are all easy and dependable tubeless tires.

As much as I love Compass tires, their tubelessness has been hit or miss.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I've been able to get my 40mm MSO tubeless (the clincher version). They seem to be keeping air.

reippuert

by reippuert

SgtRock wrote:Hi

Apologies if there are similar threads out there but I am after tubeless tyre recommendations for adventure cross events. I started riding cross racing over the winter but this was on full knobblys (Spec Terra Pro Tubeless) which were very good. Now the season is over I'm looking to do some longer events and I have the Clif Cross and Moors and Shores rides coming up. They appear to be a mix of road, gravel track, bridleway and grass, and at this time of year probably mud.

If it weren't for the road stuff I would possibly stick with the Terra Pros but they are sluggish on road and with summer coming on probably not the best for when the trails dry out. So I am after a do it all tyre that will get me through the spring, when things are still drying out, and be ok for long on / off road rides.

I've ridden tubeless on my road bike for years and love em. No failures, at least none that Stan's fluid hasn't resolved. So off road I definately want to keep the tubeless theme going. I will be mounting on Kinesis CrossLight or Pacenti SL25 rims - so should be good for most tyres I think.

I seen really good feedback on WTB Nano 40c, but they do seem a a little weighty, although probably very robust. The WTB Cross Boss is lighter and still gets good feed back.

So can you help me decide. Any feedback or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Pannaracer Gravilking SK - reasonable fast on tarmac. The 40mm is the easyest tire i have ever set up tubeless ((incl schwalbe, michelins & geax MTB tyres).

40mm is offcouse on the heavy side - but for scandinavian winter and autum they perform very well on trails, XC, gravel and tarmac.

For summer rides and touring im on 35mm Compass Bon John pass extralights - the are as fast as the 27mm Vittoria Pave tubluars i have on my MerlinWorks TI road bike and my vintage Koga-Miyata Full pro steel bike.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

Miller

by Miller

I did an event today in southern UK, 80km with road, poor road, lane, singletrack and deep mud sections. Much as I love Schwalbe G-One they're not good in mud. So today I was trying the grippier X-One and was very impressed with the extra grip they offer while still having the G-One swiftness on roads.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've done a few of the Adventurecross rides and the WTB Nanos would be my call. Decent grip and toughness. Sure there are lighter tyres out there but the Nanos roll well and you don't want something too delicate if the terrain is rough.

I run 35mm G-ones (TLE) sometimes but they are more road-focussed, and not for mud at all.

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Anyone tried the new G-One Speed? Quite a bit small at 30c. Looks like it's for a little more pavement and a small mix of gravel/dirt.

AJS914

by AJS914

Zero problems here with running the MSR Xplor tubeless.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

ihs0yz wrote:Anyone tried the new G-One Speed?

yep. More of a road tyre, as you say. Used to be called the S-One. I ran them on my commuter for a while but I'm now on the 35mm G-One (allround?) which is smack bang in between road and gravel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

How's the durability and wear rate of the G-one speed compared to the 35mm G-One?