Tubeless Adventure Cross Tyre Reccomendations

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I just got the Clement USH 35c for my CX bike. I've put maybe 50miles on them. I use them on aggregate and hardpack, smooth forest trails around me.

Observations:
1) Faster on the road than my worn Bontrager cx3 tires, but obviously not my 25c GP4000s.
2) These would not set tubeless on my Stans Grail Rim out of the box. Clement says all of their tires are non-tubeless. In my observation, the Grail rims will hold a mean bead, so I tried it. Couldn't get them to set. THey may set after broken in though.
3) The USH is a hardpack tires. They are great on the road. I hit some mud patches. THey didn't turn into frosted donuts and were fine for an 8ft patch of butter thick mud in a straight line. I wouldn't try to change direction though and there didn't go wiggly.
4) I felt I needed to run much lower tire pressures on them (40psi) vs my Bont CX3 32c tires (60psi). Not sure why. THey didn't like hardpack bumps. I'm guessing it's because the surface was pretty damp and I just wanted more float.

jeroenfl

by jeroenfl

I'm currently on Bruce Gordon Rock 'n' Roads. So far I have to admit I'm a little impressed by both offroad grip and onroad drag. They seem to work well. My commute is 20% road, 60% backroads and 20% singletrack

Have them on an older set of DT Swiss M1700's in 29 size and for the front setting up tubeless was easy but on the rear I had to add a layer of rim tape and ran it first day with a tube. Still yesterday on 100k commute they worked well tubeless. I'm about 100kg at 1m89 on an RLT steel.

I'm switching a lot between s-one, g-one and now these. All tubeless. I also run two sets of CX tubulars. Now building a set of wheels for 650b Conti Mud Kings because the tubulars are too fragile for the gnarliest of conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Started a CX sportive this morning based on the Ridgeway in southern England and, same as last year, got stopped by a slashed tyre needing me to put in an inner tube. Which was frustrating. Tyre is a Schwalbe G-One which rides nicely but I don't think was quite tough enough this morning. The Ridgeway is an ancient route which is rutted, grassy and chalky and covered in gravel and rocks. Being on chalk, flint is the prevalent stone. Flint has sharp edges.

Is there any 34mm or narrower tubeless tyre that has a hope of withstanding flinty rocky gravel? Event was a puncture fest this morning and it wasn't even wet.

Discovered afterwards that the other wheel had had a moment also but sealant had caught it without me noticing.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Find something with more thread and denser tread pattern. This will cost speed though.

MikeD

by MikeD

Jan Heine of Compass Tires says you do not need knobbies tires for gravel riding and that knobbies have a lot more rolling resistance on pavement. I'm using Schwalbe Marathon 700x47's and they are great for gravel roads and are almost flat proof. I've had no less than ten goat head thorns in my tires and none have caused a flat.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Maxxis Rambler 40mm: love em !
Set up tubeless well, great weight vs volume too. Roll well on all surfaces from pavement to gravel to singletrack and roots.
adrenaline junkie

peted76

by peted76

I can't seem to find much or any experience or reviews on the new Schwable 'X-One Speed' which looks like the G-one but with a bit more bite on the edges.. has anyone used these or know much about them?

I've only space for 33-35mm on my ride and looking for a versatile tyre - was considering waiting for the 32mm tubeless GravelKings or 35mm G-Ones...

morganb

by morganb

I like the Compass Steilacoom in 38mm, its knobby but rolls pretty well on the road even at low pressures and really hooks up in the dirt.

reippuert

by reippuert

SgtRock wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:04 am
Hi

Apologies if there are similar threads out there but I am after tubeless tyre recommendations for adventure cross events. I started riding cross racing over the winter but this was on full knobblys (Spec Terra Pro Tubeless) which were very good. Now the season is over I'm looking to do some longer events and I have the Clif Cross and Moors and Shores rides coming up. They appear to be a mix of road, gravel track, bridleway and grass, and at this time of year probably mud.

If it weren't for the road stuff I would possibly stick with the Terra Pros but they are sluggish on road and with summer coming on probably not the best for when the trails dry out. So I am after a do it all tyre that will get me through the spring, when things are still drying out, and be ok for long on / off road rides.

I've ridden tubeless on my road bike for years and love em. No failures, at least none that Stan's fluid hasn't resolved. So off road I definately want to keep the tubeless theme going. I will be mounting on Kinesis CrossLight or Pacenti SL25 rims - so should be good for most tyres I think.

I seen really good feedback on WTB Nano 40c, but they do seem a a little weighty, although probably very robust. The WTB Cross Boss is lighter and still gets good feed back.

Also looked at Kenda Block Eight Pro and Happy Mediums as well as Hutchinson Black Mambas.

There appear to be other options like the Clement X'plor MSO but I don't think the tubeless version is out yet. I know a lot of folk run non tubeless tyres converted. I Would probably be happy with this for a cross event but I am likely to run higher pressures on a long event because of the road sections and therefore I am a little nervous about blow off's.

So can you help me decide. Any feedback or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Pannarcer Gravelkings - anytime.

Smother than anything as tough out there and tubeless setup is dead easy.

I have the original 700c 40mm SK’s, now rebranded as 43mm and the 32mm slicks (the later replaced a pair of Compass 35mm extralights - volume is 1-2mm less at same weight but the ease of sealing/seating is worth a little less volume and a tiny increase in roling resistance)

Both seats and seals WITHOUT sealent with a trackpump on DT 460db’s and DT x1700.

Im seriously suprisede by the low roling resistance, puncture-proof and grip of the 32mm (300g) slicks on everything from smooth tarmac to hardpack. Did a 2 weeks bikepoacking trip in Laugedoc and southern massive centrale for a few weeks last year. 1st week was more or less 50% hardpack/gravel - 2nbd week includes cervennes climbs incl Mt Auguial.

The 40/43mm is a mighty impressive tyre in everthing from sharp rocks, deep sand to mud while it still behaves like a decent road tyre on tarmac appart from its weight. Sinc i got them i havent touched my Cannondal MTB for the local trails sand i bought them to La Palma for vulcanic forrest roads and long tarmac climbs (Roque de los Muchacos is 0-2400m). And the decend like on rails.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

reippuert

by reippuert

MikeD wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 pm
Jan Heine of Compass Tires says you do not need knobbies tires for gravel riding and that knobbies have a lot more rolling resistance on pavement. I'm using Schwalbe Marathon 700x47's and they are great for gravel roads and are almost flat proof. I've had no less than ten goat head thorns in my tires and none have caused a flat.
Marathons contradict all Jan’s recomendations appart from volume.

They are supe heave and rooling resistance is absourd due the non flexing carcase.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66