Anyone used Fulcrum Racing 5 DB?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickcube

by nickcube

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s, the disk brake model. Just wondering if anyone's used these wheels or anything else fulcrum. Never used them before so I'm just wondering about their quality and also, how well does their 21 spoke idea work? I'm at 60kg right now but I'm still interested to hear about how well they work for other. Any info would be appreciated, cheers!

FreaK

by FreaK

the number of spokes seems fine on the regular version. the 5s aren't very special, but I think there's a lot more changed from the rim brake version for discs in this case. They definitely won't be the lightest disc wheels at that price.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickcube

by nickcube

FreaK wrote:the number of spokes seems fine on the regular version. the 5s aren't very special, but I think there's a lot more changed from the rim brake version for discs in this case. They definitely won't be the lightest disc wheels at that price.

What else could you recommend for that weight/price? I've done a fair bit of searching and it's either those or the cosine 23mm wheelset which i'd have to wait another month for

philipBer

by philipBer

I am using the racing quattro db since the beginning of the year together with Conti GP 4000 sII tires in 28mm.

So far no reason to complain, but I do not know if they are comparable to the racing five...

nickcube

by nickcube

philipBer wrote:I am using the racing quattro db since the beginning of the year together with Conti GP 4000 sII tires in 28mm.

So far no reason to complain, but I do not know if they are comparable to the racing five...

Looks like the hubs are fairly similar, they doing just fine? How's the quality of them, the spokes and the nipples? I guess it's just between these and the cosine wheesethttp://www.wiggle.com.au/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/, which I'd have to wait for a bit but I'd save another 100g. Just more worried about either of them having rims like cheese, but reviews look good for both

philipBer

by philipBer

nickcube wrote:
philipBer wrote:I am using the racing quattro db since the beginning of the year together with Conti GP 4000 sII tires in 28mm.

Looks like the hubs are fairly similar, they doing just fine? How's the quality of them, the spokes and the nipples? I guess it's just between these and the cosine wheesethttp://www.wiggle.com.au/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/, which I'd have to wait for a bit but I'd save another 100g. Just more worried about either of them having rims like cheese, but reviews look good for both

Did not do a ton of miles (km) on them yet (~500km) but so far the hubs are good. Spokes and nipples seem to be standard Sapim steel and aluminium respectively.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com