FRM Cyclo-X cantilever brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cadence90

by cadence90

Does anyone here have experience using FRM cantilever brakes?
I have some FRM components, and like them, but have never used their cantis.

If someone has used them, how do they compare to Avid, TRP, Paul’s, Tektro, in terms of set-up, modulation, power, durability?

The FRM Ciclo-X cantilever brake uses spokes instead of a conventional straddle wire for better braking response. Ample fork crown clearance allows mud and sand to flow through when the wheel is rotating.
Photo ©: Kirsten Robbins/Cyclingnews.com

Thank you.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeDee

by MikeDee

No but any cantis that use unthreaded brake shoe posts are a real pain to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadence90

by cadence90

MikeDee wrote:No but any cantis that use unthreaded brake shoe posts are a real pain to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see, thank you.

I know nothing about cantis.
The larger bolt in the bottom FRM product image (above) screws down against the post, correct? I can see that that would not only be a pain to adjust, but could also work loose.

So, the better alternative is something like Paul Neo-Retro/Touring?
These have threaded posts, correct?

Image Image

Thanks again.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

jooo

by jooo

Yeah, I'd take something from Paul any day of the week over that wacky FRM, the modern pads being the biggest reason.

There are a whole bunch of different canti's that work just as well as each other, as long as they're all set up correctly. There are also some really nice Mini-V's around too.

cadence90

by cadence90

OK, great. Another good point re: the modern pads.

I will just get some Paul's, then. Thanks for the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Juanmoretime wrote:Avid Ultimates are great brakes too and very adjustable. I just did a gravel road race yesterday with some pretty muddy sections and never wished I had more braking.

Really? Wow, what a very strange coincidence!

I have a complete set of NIB Avid Single Digit Ultimates (1D-ULT) that my brother gave me as a birthday present many years ago. That build then never happened, and so there they have sat, in their nice Avid boxes. I pulled them out of storage earlier tonight and was looking at them, and then I saw your post. Interesting.

I need to call Campagnolo today to see if these will work with Chorus Flat-Bar levers on this new build (new to me Moots Psychlo-X with ENVE CX fork (why I need cantis, etc.) for daily all-weather commuting + good/bad road riding that I want to explore). I know that Chorus F-B levers will work with short-reach or long-reach road calipers, and with cantilevers, but I don't know if they will work with Mini-Vs, etc.

I've been looking at Mini-Vs, because I have read so many complaints regarding cantis (and I don't need the "better" mud clearance, etc. that I gather cantis provide), but the entire cx brake topic is still confusing to me.

I do not even really understand if the Avid Ultimates are "V' or "Mini-V"; if "linear-pull" (Avid Ultimate) and "direct-pull" (Paul MiniMoto) are the same thing, or different; and if "long-pull" (Avid Ultimate) and "short-pull" (Paul MiniMoto) are again the same thing, or different. I have used only one brake almost my entire life: various Campa calipers on road bikes, so my experience is definitely zero re: cantis, etc.

If the Single Digit Ultimates I have are indeed compatible with Chorus F-B, that would be excellent. They are 10 years old, though, and discontinued as far as I can tell; I wonder if current brake pads (i.e. KoolStop) will fit them. The pads that are with these are, I assume, Avid, black, marked "DIN A".

I remember you from years ago when I used to participate here and on some other fora with much more frequency. You always wrote excellent comments (and posted some very nice builds iirc); so it's nice to see that you're still active here.

Cheers, and thanks.