Gravel race tires

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rupps5

by rupps5

I am a Long time cat1 xc racer that is new to gravel racing. I have no experience with gravel tires, so I'm coming here for some tire recommendations for Southern Cross. Which tires do you gravel racers run? Which tires are generally on the podium?

stoney

by stoney

That depends on the conditions of the day. If using tubeless many have had success with Specialized Triggers. They have 33 and 38 sizes. The 38 has increased puncture resistance but that adds to the weight of the tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rupps5

by rupps5

I would like to run the tires tubeless. They will be on stans valor rims.

Thanks i will check out the triggers.

Any other suggestions out there?

Marin

by Marin

I do most of my gravel riding on clincher Open Paves which work really well on gravel roads in Austria and Slovenia because the gravel is rather fine here.

For coarser surfaces you will need wider tires.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Specialized Trigger 33 are excellent.

If you don't want tubeless, Michelin Jet are awesome too.

Small Block 8 are good too.

I prefer a tire with some size knobs... but our gravel is more actual gravel country roads. Other places you could get away with a large slick. For us, we sometimes need a bit more aggressive front tire than a Trigger.

I HATE the large size "gravel tires". ie 38-42mm stuff. Slow and heavy. Our roads can be very burly, level B and level C stuff, totally abandoned, etc. If I needed more tire, I'd step up to something like a Specialized Renegade 1.8. Still light and rolls well.

bikerector

by bikerector

My go-to gravel race tire this year will be a 32mm maxxis refuse, tubeless. There are becoming a lot of options for tubeless gravel tires but as mentioned, something like the renegade or SB8 are pretty good. WTB nano could be okay, I haven't really looked at weight. Clement is supposed to have their gravel tires coming out tubeless soon. I was thinking the specialized roubaix RBR in 32/30 would be a nice option for all but soft gravel.

For the most part, look for file tread, something with some puncture resistance, and 28mm or more width. I like 28mm slicks for hardpack gravel but it's pretty limited in it's application.

If gravel gets wet, I like tires like a challenge chicane or an old mud tire that's been worn down in the center. Something that clears peanut butter well but doesn't feel slow on the paved or harder sections.

stormur

by stormur

Briscoelab wrote:
If you don't want tubeless, Michelin Jet are awesome too.

Jets are VERY tubeless, easiest conversion ever made BTW. Vey fast, never got flat.

I like Hutchinson Mamba ( 2 versions, standard and Tubeless ) - fast, very puncture proof, good grip on hardpack, gravel. Thread was used by many at London Olympics XC ( glued to FMB casing ) - looking at course, can be better recommendation ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I've seen several Jet's blow off of rims when setup tubeless. Sometimes, they work... sometimes they don't. To me, it's not worth the risk when there are tires out there that are just as good, but more reliable.

I'm more confident in them at lower pressures. It's when in the 40-50psi range that I've seen problems. The beads just can't reliably handle that pressure. 25-35psi they seem fine, if you can get the bead to pop on.

Miller

by Miller

I have bought a pair of Schwalbe G-One tubeless in 35 width for an upcoming event, haven't ridden them yet though.

Colin

by Colin

bikerector wrote:WTB nano could be okay, I haven't really looked at weight.

Of all the big tires branded as "gravel" tires, these have been my favorite. Roll fairly fast, soak up everything in the road, handle dry singletrack okay, and weren't horrible on a few grassy CX courses. That said, the weight isn't great at 530g-ish. In my opinion, they've been a pretty good tubeless alternative to the MSO's since Clement has taken their sweet time releasing these in tubeless.

Marin

by Marin

I got myself a set of Compass Bon Jon Pass 35mm, tubeless ready, light and very supple. Didn't have a chance to ride them yet though.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Check out the Maxxis Rambler. Light, supple casing, and a good tread pattern.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

stormur

by stormur

Briscoelab wrote:I've seen several Jet's blow off of rims when setup tubeless. Sometimes, they work... sometimes they don't. To me, it's not worth the risk when there are tires out there that are just as good, but more reliable.

I'm more confident in them at lower pressures. It's when in the 40-50psi range that I've seen problems. The beads just can't reliably handle that pressure. 25-35psi they seem fine, if you can get the bead to pop on.

Where you see the point for tubeless and 40PSI + ??? Tubeless is for LOW pressure, not high . 2nd thing is rims. Some rims are rally tubeless ready ( like Hed Belgium ), some not...

I rode tubeless Jet's, MUD2, Hutchinson Mamba, Conti Race. Never had blow. Min rideable pressure 1.3 front 1.6 rear on HED C2 and MUD. Jet's and others were 0.3 bar more.
Now have Vittoria XG ( not TNT ) and my start point will be 1.5/ 1.8 . But 3-3.5 bar on tubeless ??? If you can live with that pressure go tubes. Life will be easier.

I stil remember Challenge Grifo 33 open tubular pressures : 2 front, 2.3 rear . NEVER crossed 2.5bar. And my weight was always 90kg +-2kg.
Mark Twain

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Rims are HED Belgium or Stan's Alpha. Both tubeless.

Again, running low pressure for a cyclocross race is NOT what is being discussed here. Running a 30-33mm tire at 30 psi for a gravel race/ride is beyond stupid for someone of normal weight. I don't think you understand what is being discussed here.

Go ride a Jet at those pressures over a 100 mile gravel race with nasty rocks and washed out road sections and see how long they and your rim last. Not to mention how slow it will be.

There is a time and a place for low pressure like that... a cyclocross race. This isn't what is being discussed.

I even mentioned as much earlier. Jet's and Mud's work reasonably well for tubeless on a cross race. They are still terrible compared to a decent tubular though. Again, this isn't what's being discussed.

Typical roads here:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

You're right. Living in Finland I've never seen gravel (70% roads here are gravel ), more, I never rode a CX bike in life.I haven't even one. Ever. I never watched movies from all major & small gravel races in US. I've never seen road condition. Never follow equipment choices made by people who race it.

I don't see difference between product "tubeless ready" ( HED, Michelin Jet/Mud ) and TUBELESS ( Fulcrum 2WayFit, Hutchinson Mamba TB, Vittoria TNT ) as well . I don't understand also instruction on sealant bottle to not go over 40PSI for non-FULL-tubeless set up.

You are clever, I am dumb.

I wonder only how you can handle being soo smart, and surrounded by sooo dumb ? Must be difficult....
Mark Twain