Gravel race tires

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

spookyload

by spookyload

I ride the Trigger 33mm tires with Orange Seal at 50 psi to commute, then 35 psi for the times I take the dirt path home. No problems with the tires a 50 psi, and they are the 2bliss or whatever the hell Specialized calls them. I ran the Clement LAS last year and they did just fine at the pressures mentioned. Never ran them lower than 35 psi on either setup unless I was chasing a goathead leak home from not topping the sealant off every now and then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

I'll throw in my $0.02. If the roads demand it, Specialized Triggers are great tires. I ride them in 38mm (2Bliss) size on single track and the miles of pavement to get to said single track. I am a bit reckless in the woods and woods here are very rooty, so the larger size offers more forgiveness. I run them at around 30-35psi off-road and pump up to 45 or so for the pavement. Tubeless of course (Stans). I would be pinch flatting at 30psi if I were using tubes. My rims have a few dents to attest to that. As earlier posters have noted, it really depends on the surface you are riding.

On that note, my go to "gravel road tire" right now are 28mm Schwalbe One tubeless tires. Our gravel roads tend to be more like dirt with sections of fairly fine gravel (1cm or less diameter). The Ones have been great on these surfaces. The G-One tires look perfect, of course. I am going to try a set of the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR for my next set of tires; that is probably another good option for tamer gravel.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Schwalbe S-One? I'm going to try those on my CX bike this summer.

Marin

by Marin

Most of the gravel roads I ride in Europe are built for normal passenger cars to go 30-50kph, so fatter road tires are just more efficient than 40mm+ monster cross tires.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Swapped between G-One over to Hutchinson Black Mamba CX. G-One is fatter but it also accelerate slower.
I noticed Hutchinson also work on some new gravel/ cx tires which are wider.
I don't think i'll go under 34mm for gravel.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.