Stem lengths and frame

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Ok first of all I'm a complete newbie to CX or even Road bike.
I've currently picked up myself a Felt F65X bike in 53cm
I'm 5ft7 and inside leg 31 short reach tbh. So my issue is I'm finding that I'm really over stretching on the bike with a 90mm stem as standard so I've reduced this to a 80mm. I've not ridden it yet been feels better just to feel.
The issue or question I've got is this wrong to go so short on CX because all I ever see is 100mm plus stems on CX.
So if I'm still over reaching what can I do to make other changes it totally feels different to my setup on the XC which is understandable.
Do I need a smaller frame like a 50cm or am I riding a correct size?

I won't be racing on it just using as a commuting and a training bike to get more miles in the legs

Sorry if it sounds daft question just a complete novice on CX

RussellS

by RussellS

Just a guess on my part. I'm familiar with road bikes and how they fit. I looked at the Felt website and for your bike the toptube is 54.5cm on the 53 size. By comparison I am 5'11" tall and would fit on the 55 size Felt with a 56.5cm toptube. A tiny bit short for my preferences but would fit OK. I also use a 12cm stem on all my bikes. At 5'7" tall, the toptube on the 53 frame may be a bit longer than ideal at 54.5cm. And if you are going with a 9cm stem instead of 10cm stem to get more comfortable, then I would say the bike is a bit too big. Most likely the next smaller size Felt in 50 with a 53cm toptube would work better. If you are average size with average proportions, you can usually ride one or two frame sizes from most companies with normal size stems. In your Felt frame I could fit on either the 55 or 57 frame sizes with either 56.5cm or 58cm toptubes. And stems from 10 to 13cm. Roughly. Neither is ideal for me but I could make them work OK. You sort of lean more to one size than the other. But others the same size as you might lean a bit more the other way. One of those situations where a good bike shop that changes stems for test rides and has someone who knows about fitting bikes would be good.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bi ... /F65x.aspx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jcrr

by jcrr

@carlin

I am also 5'7" w inseam of 30". So you have a shorter torso than I do, which should explain why you are finding a 54.5cm top tube a bit long. My opinion is you would be better served on the size 50 of that frame, and you should have a look at the 47 as well, depending on how you want to ride it

On the 53 you have, you can push the seat froward, and shorten the stem further if/as needed, but at some point, you are going to compromise how the bike handles. It may not make a difference to you if you're just commuting, but, heck, if you are going to be on a bike, it may as well be one that fits you well.

best of luck
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Carlin

by Carlin

Thanks guys for the advise yep you both are right, I rode it today with a shorter stem it felt better but the bike just makes me feel like I'm leaning bit forward still so I'm guessing a 50cm will be a better option.
Shame as I do like this bike and it's going to cheap but atleast now I know it's not for me.

Hopefully I will get chance to try a 50cm and see the difference