Campy Shamals for cross?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

velomane

by velomane

Hi,

Would a set of Campy Shamals be suitable for cross? Can they fit a wider tire? I'm in the mood for a set of boutique wheels, hence the question. If not these, then what else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

How much do you weigh? I know some light guys who ride them and are ok. What is your definition of wide? For racing you'll probably using 33mm tyres, which will generally measure out to that sz on those rims. Obviously 35's wont stretch out to 38-40mm
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Geoff

by Geoff

In the 'peg, you'll be fine. I know that on the course for Nationals has a really soft sandy section, but that is not typical. Accordingly, you can get away with shallower rims. I have found that Campagnolo rims do netter with wider tubulars, anyway. You'll still need to glue them up with 'Belgian' tape, though.

velomane

by velomane

Thanks for the replies so far. I weigh 70kg at most. As for tire width, I was referring to the standard (is there such a thing?) 33mm.

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah, I get that question a lot, actually. The UCI rule does not actually apply to the casing dimensions (that would make too much sense). In fact, it is the tire at its widest part that gets measured. To make sure, I always say 'run a 32, then you should be safe'. Please note, I say 'should be safe'.

The problem is that there is a huge variation of wheel diameters. In the case of a bigger wheel (like a Zipp), your 34s can 'stretch' enough to be 33 once mounted. If I recall correctly from gluing Campagnolo rims for road, Campagnolo rims are on the smaller side of average. Accordingly, you are not going to get a stretch from those rims. I would recommend sticking with the 32s, to be safe.

velomane

by velomane

Thanks Geoff,

Further to what I'm after, is there a set of boutique wheels anyone here would recommend for cross? I know, I know- just build my own. I have and I take great pride and satisfaction from having done so. I just want something new.

jcrr

by jcrr

How boutique do you want to go? Enve's are prob as nice as it gets for cross without going custom, IMHO. The rims are wide, light and pretty pimp.

If you want to go haute couture, then custom is the way to go. When I had my disc wheels built, I was inspired by eliflap-scalpel's 1060g wheels, but I quickly realized the price-point and upkeep of the extralite hubs were too much for my racing. I would imagine non-disc extralite hubs would net you a silly light wheelset with less spokes, complete with constant upkeep and upscale price tag... :D Is that boutique enough? :mrgreen:
(About half way down page 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128139&hilit=nextie)

For less boutique, more off-the-shelf, I can attest to Easton ec90slx. Mine are built on DT hubs, and weigh 1135g, and I've put them through the wringer. Those rims are 20.5mm wide, btw. I should add I weigh 62kg.

just some ideas 4 u...
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

You've got all the US boutique hubs, CK, White Industries, Industry Nine, lots to choose. The latter two would probably suit cross more. Agree with jcrr, Extralite are overkill for cx
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

velomane

by velomane

Once again, thanks for the info. I guess one of my concerns was whether any of the wheels are too fragile (a relative term) for the rigors of cross. I'm getting the impression that perhaps that is not so much a concern. I will admit to having toyed with the idea of a pair of Enve's with Extralite hubs, 20/24.

Starbike is also running a Reynolds promo that would give me 10% off a set of Assault's in addition to the WW discount, so I might go that route.

stormur

by stormur

Lifespan of rim braked wheelset in CX is limited by rim. And usually is quiet short ( in comparison to road use : extremely short ) . That's why it's not best idea to NOT have handbuild thing on CX bike. You will end with worn to death rims, and still in nice condition hubs+spokes with uncommon lacing pattern..
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com