[Commuting] - Lightest secure-bolt system?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Since we don't have a commuter section... which I would like... *ahem*... but anyway, since we don't have a commuter section:

Are there any lighter options to a secure series of bolts besides the Pitlock system?

I'm re-building my commuter/social bike at the moment. At my client's office it can be locked near the Valet section underground/secure. Yet I also use this bike for social purposes or just riding around town on various runs, so it does get locked up "out on the street", neighborhood quality is mixed.

(inb4 the suggestions of just using metric heads everywhere - Pitlock, if you're not aware of it yet, is different).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RyanH

by RyanH

For skewers you can pick up a pair of Tune Skyline zfs bolt on skewers. Not sure what you can do about collar and Headset though. What about filling the bolt heads with wax?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I've found the wax to be just a deterrent, not a preventer (?) (is that even a word?).
Most thieves will try to go for the quick take-away, hit the wax and move on. Others also carry a lighter with them. One of my friends had his fork and stem stolen (everything else was left alone) while he was at the Echo Park LAPL (the bike was locked up pretty well), he used wax in the heads.

I also considered soldering in a ball bearing into the heads, but it becomes an issue for maintenance.

And I've also undone a set of those skewers with a small leatherman-style tool for an "on-the-side-of-the-road" repair for a stranded dude who was riding through Death Valley, the kids in LA would have no problems with it unfortunately.

Atomic22 seems like a decent alternative.
Does anyone have experience using them? Is their stuff really Titanium??
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spookyload

by spookyload

If the thieves are that high tech and savvy, maybe buy a beater for the social riding. One that has big bolts you can Loctite and not worry if it gets stolen. If it is nice, a thief will figure out how to take it eventually

964Cup

by 964Cup

I use Torx security bolts everywhere on my commuter. You can get them in all the usual bike sizes on eBay and elsewhere. You sometimes need to turn down the heads a little to fit them into, e.g., stem recesses, but spinning them in a power drill against some sandpaper held in your hand works well. Most casual bike thieves are unlikely to carry a set of security torx heads with them.

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-x-16mm-Tor ... iclHE9amZg

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

How about Hexlox?
http://www.hexlox.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

964Cup wrote:Most casual bike thieves are unlikely to carry a set of security torx heads with them.

Here in the US, security torx bits are more common being available at our big box hardware stores as well as many auto parts stores. So while the folks he is trying to protect against may not have the correct tool the first time around, I suspect they will the next time. My experience has been that when a thief wants your bike, given enough opportunity, the thief is going to get your bike. You would think tall tall street and sign poles, anchored in the ground with cement would provide adequate protection for locking up a bike. In our downtown business district, the thieves have uprooted many sign and fence posts near the more popular commuter destinations, so that when someone uses one to lock up a bike, the thief simply hoists the pole out of the ground and in a minute or less are on their way with the bicycle. I often think a solid deterrent, would be a stainless metal chain looped though a black box with a high amperage battery system that would shock the lights out of a would be thief!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"