Tips on budget disc wheelset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I've been looking at either a custom or factory wheelset. Closer to 1500gr and as low weight as possible. Clincher and QR/thru axle compatible.
Any ideas?
I saw the Kinesis cross v4 that are interesting, but I have seen different weights for them.

They would be used for road/gravel and cx(at least practice session)

Birdman

by Birdman

Budget?
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Around the price of the kinesis

Birdman

by Birdman

You in the UK? I can only see US prices, which is $311.59 USD. Kinesis website listed it at $349.99 GBP.

1,500g, QR and through axle compatible? You will have better luck getting a used set online, which I've done, and it worked well for me.

Stans NoTubes, they have nice wheels at decent prices, and axles are convertible. Consider them.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I'm in Canada. I've been looking on the auction site for Stan's. Any other band ideas or site are welcome I'll continue to look

Birdman

by Birdman

Another tip:

Consider some older Mavic mountain bike wheels. Some of their freehubs can take modern 11 speed road cassettes. Although the rims may or may not work well with road tire beads and pressure. I bought a set of cheap Mavic mountain wheels for my cross bike to beat on. So far so good.

That Kinesis Cross V4 looks very good for the price though. I even want to get a set for myself, thanks for that tip! :)

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

What do you think of that weight for the v4? The v3 are lighter but the v4 are future proof.

Birdman

by Birdman

Kinesis Cross V4
Front: 800g
Rear: 960g
Internal width: 19mm
Tubeless ready
CenterLock
QR and ThruAxle convertible
XD driver body convertible
28h 2 cross

For $311.59 USD, that's a no-brainer in my opinion. Although we really need someone with actual experience to way in, so far this thread is just us.

Here are the weights of my tubeless ready disc wheels for your reference:

Shimano WH-RX31, QR, no skewers
Front: 904g
Rear: 1107g

DT Swiss XR400, 240s hubs, 15x100, 12x142
Front: 783g
Rear: 888g
Last edited by Birdman on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

by Birdman

Honestly this wheelset ticks ALL the right boxes for me. I love all the features that it has to offer. I don't even think the Stans hubs are that adaptable (the road hubs can't convert to XD, the mountain hubs can't convert to 11sp road)

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I've seen on a few different sites different weight numbers.

Rims:
- Tubeless compatible rim
- 28 hole 2x lacing
- Rim depth 22mm, external width 24mm, internal width 19mm
Hubs:
- 11 speed 3 pawl Shimano freehub
- Thru Axle compatible (front 15mm, Front 12mm, Rear 142x12mm and QR levers included)
- Double sealed cartridge bearings
- Centrelock disc rotor mounting
Spokes & nipples:
- Double butted black spokes
- Black alloy nipples
Weights:
- Front: 750g Rear: 900g

Maybe it's different weights depending on having the adaptors on or not. I'll contact them.

Birdman

by Birdman

Rim weight, can't find that info. Could you please ask for the rim weight if you do end up contacting Kinesis? Thanks!
Last edited by Birdman on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fresherjohn

by fresherjohn

I have the v3 crosslight wheelset and wouldnt recommended them for cx use as mine have been back twice under warranty. I'm 75kg and ride quite hard, but i wouldnt expect to destroy a wheelset so quickly. In fairness they had performed flawlessly all summer as road wheels and felt great at 1550g, but using them offroad i broke 4 of the alloy nipples on the front and the freehub. I must mention the customer service support which has been superb, on par with Hope.
The V4s now offer the heavier CX version (+200g i think) which has brass nipples and beefier spokes and a road version which is the original 1550g with alloy nipples.
Unfortunately I dont think the v3's are adaptable which is a shame as i've just got a new 142mm TA frame on order.
I'm selling them soon so will remove the tyres and discs and post some weights in the next few days.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Whatever you do, make sure to get a tubeless compatible wheelset.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the info! @birdman, I'll let you know if and when I get an answer.

@marsbar thanks for the tip. What is your setup? I've always trained on clincher and raced on tubular but now that I switched to disc I don't have many wheelsets. The tubular will be last if needed...so your comment on tubeless is interesting.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I have DT Swiss R24 db and Notubes Valor wheelsets, running tubeless on both of them. It's working great. I can't get the tires to burp (I'm running Schwalbe X-Ones on the R24s and iRC CX on the Valors).

In the past I've used Tufo, Challenge and Dugast tubulars. I'm not going back. It's much more convenient for me to have a nice wheel set that I can both train and race on (the Valors).

For rim brake bikes it's not so easy to find tubeless compatible rims, but it's very easy in the case of disc brakes (in part because it allows you to use MTB rims as well, and most of them are tubeless compatible).

I'm not saying tubeless is better than tubulars in general, but for me it is. I was 11th at the national championships (elite mens category) last month if it makes a difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com