Drilling ENVE stem for canti cable stop?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

On a scale of 1-10, how bad of an idea would it be to drill a hole the size of the outer housing on the top side of an ENVE stem and a corresponding hole the size of the cable in the bottom side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I am certain it could be done and probably work, but there are a bunch or workarounds, even if you have limited space under the stem, and several potential downsides. I had this type of set up on a non-carbon and it actually exaccerbated a front stutter problem. I think it was because the stem flex was an added flex in the entire system when braking. It also added to the noise when riding rough stuff and the cable routing never ends up being as smooth as expected (plus, it looks horrible if you ask me). I really can't recommend drilling the stem as a dramatic improvement over various brake cable stops and noodles that change the direction of the cable under the stem.

Out of curiosity, is this for the Cielo? You seem to have plenty of space there to go with a steerer mounted cable stop. Not sure if your fork can take a crown mounted stop. I am still having good success with the VIA stop from Brick Lane Bikes. It looks good too.

On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being a "Do it!" I would rate drilling that Enve stem as a 2. But what workaround or problem are you addressing?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

It isn't for the Cielo, but a new build that I am working on where there won't be room for the steerer mounted cable stop. I looked at the VIA, and that may be the solution. The only reason I was considering this was due to it being the lightest option, but I was concerned about the stutter issue.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Speedvagen stems are Enve stems drilled, to it will probably work just fine.

Or you could just run some MiniV.

Does your fork have an option for a fork mounted cable stop?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I had heard that the ENVE stems are internally moulded? Plus, the tiny hole at the bottom isn't my concern, it would be the larger hole at the top.

chayanat

by chayanat

try mini-moto or other mini-v instead :D

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Be aware that the VIA brake cable stop does not take up much space on the steerer, but it does stick out relatively far. If you plan to run a -17 deg stem you will need a good 1 cm between the stem and cable stop in order to have it mounted directly under the stem (as opposed to off to one side, which also works due to the design.)

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Could this Fourier cable hanger do the trick ? I use the same and have a 5mm spacer above it. Lars van der Haar is not even using a spacer and it fits.

Peronaly I wouldn't do the drilling procedure :smartass:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That's very similar to the solution Stoli proposed and it may be the winner; however, I was hoping for something more simple/elegant with the least amount of parts.

I had considered hanging this from the stem bolt, but I think I might experience the worst fork stutter with this configuration.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

How about using a crown mounted hanger? If you have a predrilled fork it also eliminates brake chatter

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Using an ENVE cross fork so no facility for crown mouning

pavel

by pavel

if your stem isnt slammed, you could get an FSA top cover with a built in hanger. It looks like this.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... s-headset/

I think I have a 15mm one in the parts bin if you need any data. Feel free to pm or email.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

FYI, the Fourier and the VIA front brake cable hanger are the same, just re-badged (the VIA has no graphics.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com