Wheelset for mixed terrain (road, gravel, hard pack trail)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Thinking of a single wheelset for a mixed terrain bike.

I guess it would be 50-60% road, rest gravel and hard packed trails.

Also winter riding with studded tires.

Tires would range from 27-40mm.

I guess it would be studded winter tires, gravel tires and fast road/ gravel tires.

I am not sure i need tubeless, but a clincher it would need to be.

Aero is not wrong, but not really a must.

It would be through axle 15*100 and 12*142 with disc brakes.

I looked at 3T Discus Team 35C, Tune Schwarzbrenner 38 clincer, King kong hubs.

But this request is for options, opinions and ideas!

Ofcourse weight is also a subject not overlooked.

Whom better to ask than you guys!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bikerector

by bikerector

The 3T discus is a pretty sweet looking wheel, I ended up getting the orbis II for my road bike though instead of the discus for my CX bike.

For an aluminum rim, velocity aileron is good mixed conditions wheel that should last a while. I've used it for all of the things you've mentioned though it's not the lightest at 450-460g I think. For a lighter option, the quill is a rim brake version that is shallower but still wide enough and should be strong enough to do what you're asking if you're not too heavy.

Boyd altamont could be a good option as well, especially the the altamont lite if you want a lighter option.

November Bicycles has a pretty good looking set of custom spec aluminum wheels to choose from that could suit this.

Boyd's carbon wheels could be a good lightweight option since most of his wheels have a "heavy" option with 4 more spokes per wheel so you could beat up on them more. His 44mm tubulars had been good to me the last 2 years before upgrading to the 3T orbis wheels for 2016. I think boyd uses brass nipple which are better for snowy/slushy riding, in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Reynolds has the ATR in 29mm width. Great carbon rim and very sure footed. For an aluminum option, they have the Stratus Pro. Same hub and spokes, just an aluminum rim. 28mm profile height on both. The Stratus are on ebay for cheap since everyone wants carbon.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

The Hed wheels are tubeless compatible if you want aluminum rims and they're wide to match your wide tires.

hobe

by hobe

I have a set built up with the same requirements.

I went with White Industries CLD hubs, Pacenti SL25 Rims, and CX Ray spokes. 28 Spokes in the front, 32 in the rear. They've worked great for commuting and riding in the SF headlands.

https://goo.gl/photos/nzoP4ySg1CVFfgvB8