Paul Klamper mechanical discs versus Shimano R785 hydraulics

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

danwerle1972

by danwerle1972

Hi, I'm currently using Paul cantilevers and Paul Mini-Motos on my cyclo-cross bikes. I'm actually really happy with them; they're easy to service, set up, and maintain; however, as we all know, there are a number of advantages to some of the newer hydraulic, mechanical, and hybrid drop-bar disc brake offerings.

Has anyone had a chance to try the Paul Klamper mechanical disc brakes in comparison with the Shimano R785 hydraulics? If I switched, I'd probably use Shimano Ice Tech rotors.

Where I live, we generally have half a season with dry conditions, 1/4 season with mixed dry/wet conditions, and 1/4 season with very muddy conditions.

Since this is Weight Weenies after all, I know that the weight penalty associated with the Paul's is not small in comparison with the Shimano R785s. I'm inquiring more about the quality of the braking, consistency through the stroke, noise, modulation, and durability in both dry and muddy conditions.

From my vantage point, the Paul's are great because they are relatively easy to adjust on the fly, can be used with compressionless housing and good cables (such as Yokozuna), and are made by a company that I really enjoy supporting.

The Shimano brakes, by most accounts, are lighter, and are in a class almost of their own in terms of quality and durability.

I know this is a somewhat weathered topic, and, with reports leaking out in recent days that disc brakes will be available for UCI road racers, this discussion will continue; I was really hoping to get some real-world input from other Weight Weenies forum subscribers who may have tried each of these options.

Thanks.

Dan
Portland, Ore.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Are you building a new bike or looking to replace parts on a current one? Do you have di2 currently? The 785s are awesome. I resisted them for awhile as I prefer sram and really love the sram hydro hoods for cross, but we work on a shit ton of the 785s at my current shop and they are awesome. Now that you can put an xtr m9050 rear derailleur on, you have the option for the perfect cx setup.

I dont have experience with the pauls, but I never rode a mechanical disc I liked. I would take a good canti setup over mechanical disc all day long. The power was never equal and lever effort always much greater. I also had problems with the actuator arms icing over and seizing on mechanical discs and the issue of uneven pad wear is real, especially in muddy conditions.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philipBer

by philipBer

743power wrote:Now that you can put an xtr m9050 rear derailleur on, you have the option for the perfect cx setup.

Have this setup on my bike and will never go back! Had mechanical discs and Hy/Rd before but the hydraulic brakes are in a league of their own.... the setup is expensive though 8)

That said, go for the 785! I am pretty sure you will not be disappointed!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I can't wait for an M8050 derailleur to do this setup on a gravel rig.
Using Tapatalk