mtber looking for CX info

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Pretty noob in terms of cx

Im looking to build a relatively budget build and was wondering if there would be any affordable frame that would be compatible with my mtb wheels, 15x100 and 12x142. I have decent sets of wheels so i would not have to lay the cash down for this.

What frame would suit my needs?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Focus Mares CX ;) It'll be cheaper to buy a full bike than a frameset though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Doesn't the Mares CX use its own funky through axle design though?

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Most through axle rears can be converted?

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

@euan they are standard 12x142 and 15x100 spacings, just the axles themselves are "funky". I put that in quotes because although weird they are a really good and functional idea.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

devinci wrote:Pretty noob in terms of cx

Im looking to build a relatively budget build and was wondering if there would be any affordable frame that would be compatible with my mtb wheels, 15x100 and 12x142. I have decent sets of wheels so i would not have to lay the cash down for this.

What frame would suit my needs?

What wheels do you have?

Most MTB wheels can be converted to 9x100mm and 10x135mm.

I.e., "standard" CX disc spacing.

devinci

by devinci

I have some custom i9 carbon wheels and some dt240s on crests.

I would rather not assle with conversion and go straight with something that would fit the axle configuration as I may need the wheels for mtb during the cx season.

I also have some custom road wheels that would work on a canti frame. Im just so noob to the CX thing and not sure disc VS canti, thru VS QR etc, etc.

I also have little time to start searching the several topics.

So I could either be looking for a thru axle frame or a canti frame with QR. I don't mind if it is aluminium. I want something unexpensive.

jooo

by jooo

Both the i9 and DT hubs should be convertible between TA & quick release without rebuilding the hubs though. It's pretty easy and basically tool free to change end caps for those hubs.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Yep. You can pull the end caps off with your manly hands on 240s.

devinci

by devinci

I see. Then that would mean getting either a disc frame. Maybe the chinese csrbon disc frame? Not sure about how the geometry is suited to cx though

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Well, you can't use Crests on a non-disc brakes/frame anyways. I'm guessing the I9 wheels can't either.

devinci

by devinci

Yes sorry I was going to write something else and forgot to delete.

Will check the carbon chinese stuff, any recommendations as to where I can source them? Qr rear and 15mm front would still work.

Cantilever is still appealing, not sure why, i like the design, and it is probably lighter.

jcrr

by jcrr

@devinci

a canti rig will always be lighter than a disc rig. With your mtb background, you would likely appreciate the efficiency/consistency of discs for braking under all conditions. However, if you feel comfy with cantis, then by all means go with that- they are at present used to win cx races at the highest levels.

Carbonzone, Dengfu, Hongfu all may have an affordable frame with the spacing you want. But you should definitely do some research here (and elsewhere) on how those frames actually work out. I'm not saying they're bad, just do your homework :smartass:

Also- you asked about geometry. Do you own a road bike? If so, look for a CX rig with the same TT. The consensus is CX rigs run big.

jc
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com