DI2 or Sram CX1

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Going to update my groups on my anti CX bike. Currently running Campag with double 36/46 chainset, Shimano(Praxis Works rings)

If you had to choose between updating to DI2 or going single with CX, what would you choose? Live in the south of the UK so some muddy races but not real mud baths and unlikely I will have a spare bike in the future so one bike will have to keep going for the whole race with the minimum of issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

I currently run 1x10 with a similar setup as CX1. Chain retention is pretty good with the narrow-wide chainrings but I have dropped a few chains after crashing. Originally, I just ran an inner chain catcher thing that's just a small bar of metal but the chain would still come off on the outside. I now run a front derailleur using the stops so both sides are guarded on the chain. I haven't dropped a chain since and it has greatly improved chain retention. I have not found the need for more gears running a 11-32 cassette and 42t ring and I'm a middle of the road racer in the middle difficulty class (cat 3 if you're familiar with US classifications).

I don't know anyone actually using a Di2 setup for CX around me, many are on 1x11 or 1x10 or just cheaper 2x setups. I think many are not willing to use it because of the cost of the system and the risk of crashing it and running it through the bad conditions often seen in cross. I have heard from a shop owner that used that Di2 shifts great under load even when dirty and was great for CX because of that but I can't confirm.

My preference is 1x because I think it's cheaper to replace parts as you break them, especially now that there is the rival 1 system. I don't like running expensive drivetrains in CX anymore to the point I'll ride a single speed if it's a complete mud grind.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

If I had the money, I'd go for Di2.

Mainly because I prefer Shimano brakes. But Di2 should be great for cyclocross.

clarkson

by clarkson

I have really loved having di2 for cross. The ability to brake hard and still shift always sets up for the corner exit in the right gear. No cables to muck up, and every shift is pretty much perfect.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Di2 is always right! I'm using 6870 group sets

weenie

by weenie

cx1, nice and simple. cx1 uses a clutch derailleur and has much better tension than a hacked up 1x with a nw front ring. i dont drop chains, no slap, simple, low maintenance.
di2 is nicer if you want to use the bike for other things than cross as well, since it's 2x11 and the electronic shifting works very well.

oh, and most people are shimano fanbois so expect results that are about brand preference. heck if you're made of money id also go for di2 just cuz its a nice item. but the reality is cx1 works as well if not better for cross.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Have you tried both, since you say it works just as well?

I wouldn't say most people are Shimanos fanboys. At least not when it comes to off road. 8/10 of the mountain bikes I see around here are equipped with SRAM X01/XX1. However, when it comes to their (mountain bike) disc brakes, they're just not as good as Shimano IMO (Avid X0/XX vs. Shimano XT/XTR). I've had both X0 and XX brakes, and honestly, the XTRs I have now are much better.

There was a BikeRadar article comparing SRAM and Shimano (road) disc brakes, and, most likely because of the greater pad clearance, the pads in the Shimano brakes lasted longer (this is also what I'm experiencing on my mountain bike). I'm sure SRAMs brakes are great when it's dry (most disc brakes are), but for me at least, performance in poor weather is more important on a CX bike. I didn't want to take any chances this time, because switching brakes is much more expensive with road shifters/brake levers than on a mountain bike. So while I haven't tried SRAMs hydraulic CX1 groups, I have had Avid MTB brakes for a while, and Rival (2x10) on my old cross bike. Compared with the small BikeRadar brake pad wear test, I decided to go Shimano (mainly because of the brakes).

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Thanks for the replies guys. I am running a cante bike and that will stay so the braking between Shimano and SRAM hydro is not relevant for me. In terms of cost of changing, I already have a Shimano double crankset, I'm not sure there is an awful lot in it and both rear mechs (open to damage in CX) seem to cost the same. I got the idea of sweeping down in the big ring, brake, drop instantly into the correct gear for a short climb and away you go. I like the idea of the single ring but it will limit bike use out of CX but do worry about the venerability of the rear mech . Nice to have 'perfect' gear, all the time. How does the DI2 rear mech stand up to the mud, general abuse, and constant washings that a cx bike has to put with?

clarkson

by clarkson

i think it stands up to washing etc a lot better than cables! two seasons of regular washing with no special care, everything still works perfect.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

CX is pretty demanding on components, and the environment adds to that demand. Regardless of what level components you buy, there is a chance you can damage the components, particularly the RD. In my last race, I saw two people lose RD's due to mud and high grass. It's one thing to lose a mechanical RD, but another thing to lose a Di2 RD! Just the cost alone would steer me away from Di2 for this issue!

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

FIJIGabe wrote:CX is pretty demanding on components, and the environment adds to that demand. Regardless of what level components you buy, there is a chance you can damage the components, particularly the RD. In my last race, I saw two people lose RD's due to mud and high grass. It's one thing to lose a mechanical RD, but another thing to lose a Di2 RD! Just the cost alone would steer me away from Di2 for this issue!

Why?

6870 di2 RD is € 155.

CX1 is € 173...

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Exactly. Di2 and CX1 rear mechs are about the same cost. It will be the same head in hands moment if you trash either!

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

As long as the cables are properly connected you have nothing to worry about with washing them. I've wrapped the junctions in heat shrink before for really concerned customers but I don't think it's necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Di2 all the way. Just the reduction in maintenance time is worth it. You can go years without having to replace a cable/housing, or adjust shifting. For a busy couple, who also races a lot, this saves us so much time.

Also, knowing your bike shift with just the touch of a button, no matter how muddy the conditions, is really reassuring. Combine that with the ease of shifting if you're wearing thicker gloves. It's a no brainer.

And if you ever go disc... it's just plug and play. Shimano discs are orders of magnitude better than Sram.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

rasmussloth wrote:Why?

6870 di2 RD is € 155.

CX1 is € 173...

You're 100% correct. When I did the search, I pulled up the Force22 RD, which is around $80. My bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com