Yet another Newbie CX build thread

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thatsbullshark

by Thatsbullshark

Hi, first time posting on WW, long time lurker. I come from a tri/TT background so CX is all new to me. I've done 4 races so far (I live in Mass.) and I'm completely hooked on CX. I'm borrowing a friend's pit bike and with the season almost done I've decided to do some research over the winter, look for bargains etc and build a bike in the spring. Looking for thoughts on every detail, want it light but will sacrifice weight for reliability. The bike I'm riding now comes in just over 18 lbs (its a Spooky Al frame, Alpha q fork, Mavic Ksyrium SL, Ritchey WCS stem/seatpost, SRAM Force shifters/der, and Paul? canti's).

Looking to spend about $3k and must haves include 1 x 11, hydr discs, tubeless wheels/tires. Not sure about frame material (steel, Al, carbon). I can get 30% off Trek from my local LBS/Team. I'd probably just buy a Trek Boone if it came in 1 x 11 with discs but no luck with that. So I could get either the Boone or Crockett frame for $1729 or $651 respectively. other than the softer ride of the Boone, Crockett seems to be a much better value and weight wise probably similar (must say not a fan of the colors of either one so open to other frames) and would give me $ to spend on wheels. Also a friend has a Sram Force CX-1 crankset i can get cheap.

Frame? used is also an option
Wheels? (Iron Cross, Grail?) (i weigh 77 kg if that matters)
seatpost, stem, bars?

Thanks for any help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajh

by ajh

I have an Ican ac059 frameset and just purchased a new 2016 thu axle version for 600 but you can get the regular QR version which I am riding now for 400ish. I love this frameset as I have riden mine for over 5000 miles this year on just about every terrain. The reverse bend in the fork seems to smoothen the impacts from the front and the bent rear stays add comfort to the rear. It also has a very wide d shaped down tube like a Foil which keeps a water bottle cleaner from mud and dirt and also adds aerodynamics with its kamm shape.

I also ebayed SRAM cx1 hydro shifters for 500, Rear derail for 170

Added to that is lightbicycle wheelset with their 45mm u shape tubeless carbon rims, pillar aero spokes and Novatec rims for 650 and then a cheap cockpit and you have one heck of a bike for not much more that a trek Boone frameset

grover

by grover

Buy Boone 5 or 9 complete. Put groupset on ebay. Buy Rival1 or Force1 hydro groupset as the budget allows?

Honestly the Boone is a phenomenal bike. The isospeed decoupler actually makes a difference. And the weight is excellent. My 56cm Boone is 1050grams frame only, my 56cm Crockett was 1600grams. The Crockett is an excellent aluminium frame and road on par with my chinese carbon open mould frame. The Boone is like a magic carpet ride that accelerates like a cut snake and just carves up corners. Trek launched it as their cx superbike and they nailed it.

I'd go frameset or complete Boone9 as the Boone 5 has an aluminium steerer which adds 100 grams to the frame weight.

Omiar

by Omiar

I would opt for thru-axles with disc brakes.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

ajh

by ajh

I would wait until next years Boone as they only changed the fork this year to thru axle as they were too cheap or did not want to bother doing the rear as well. It is all about value and how much you will use the bike. A china special will be less than any name brand bike and there may be a few trade offs.

Thatsbullshark

by Thatsbullshark

Thanks. I was just thinking about the rear axle. agree it's better to wait with respect to the Boone and see what changes Trek makes. when do manufacturers typically introduce new CX bikes?

or look elsewhere - my LBS also sells Marin and Ibis but not as deeply discounted as Trek.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thatsbullshark

by Thatsbullshark

agree, i really like the Ibis. Not a lot of bikes have the 12 x 142 thru axle. Not sure i should make a requirement, more of a nice to have.