Suggestions for lightweight handlebars for CX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Any suggestions for lightweight handlebars for CX? Aluminium or carbon, doesn't matter, but they have to be light-ish (would prefer ~ 200 g), and the price has to be fair considering the weight.

I haven't weighed the Fizik handlebars that came with my bike, but according to a review I found they are quite heavy (~ 330 g).

So far I'm considering:
- Thomson KFC bar. I think I like the shape (short reach, shallow drop). Claimed weight 215 g (44 cm width). Price: ~ 175-200 EUR.

Update: I weighed the bars. 303 grams... Actually Focus lists them as Cyrano R5 bars, but those are not on Fizik's website. So either it's a mistake, and the website should have said R3 (doesn't say on the handlebars), or it's a special OEM version. Anyway, they're heavy.
Last edited by the_marsbar on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

GlennW

by GlennW

Hi There,

I like the shape of the 3T ErgoNova bars, great shape for smaller hands, short reach, shallow drop, nice tops. I use them on my Road bike and Cross bike.

There are 3 different levels - Pro (Alum), Team (Lighter Alum) and Ltd (Carbon). So how light you go depends on budget. The Ltd now features internal cable routing as well (not sure about the others)

Cheers
Glenn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

I'd stick to a light-isn alloy set, like from Ritchey, 3T. Roughly 50g above your target weight but cx involves lots of stacks, so more durable unless you don't mind replacing bars. I have some Zipp's that are 268g in 42cm on my cx bike. Bear in mind a lot of the cheaper carbon bars generally come in around 220-230g in 42cm, 200g is at the premium end of the market.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

headwind816

by headwind816

Fizik's Bull, chameleon, and snake range come in around 250 grams for 42cm. The drop has a slight flare, which extends width by 1.5cm ctc at drop ends.

I have used both Bull and Snake with no issues or complaints.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

As I stated in the originals post, I have Fizik (bull) bars already. According to the review I posted, they're much heavier than the claimed weight (~ 330 g)...

Anyone with experience with the Thomson KFC bars?

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I'm running the kfc bars on my track bike and they are probably my favorite bar I've ridden (I'm a mechanic at a high end shop so I've sampled most of whats out there). The shape is great, they are stiff and handle well, weight or lack there of is great, and they are durable. I slid out on a wet corner doing 45km/hr and landed right on the bar and it only got scratched. My friend has then on his cross bike and rides aggressively enough to snap the head tube off a Carbon Crux and the bars still look brand new. 11/10 recommend!!!!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Great, thanks. I'll keep them on my list :) I had a Masterpiece seat post on my last cross bike, without issues, so I'm trusting Thomson so far.

headwind816

by headwind816

the_marsbar wrote:As I stated in the originals post, I have Fizik (bull) bars already. According to the review I posted, they're much heavier than the claimed weight (~ 330 g)...

Sorry about that ... I should drink some coffee before posting at 0500. I have owned two sets of Bull bars and one Snake, and I confirmed all to be around the 250g mark. I have no clue how the reviewer got a set that weighed so much or even flexed.

Have you looked at Williams Cycling Maxim bar? It is extremely similar to a 3T Ergonova but much lighter. My 42cm comes in at 235g

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

KFC is great but NOT that stiff, comfy though.
3T Ergonova is a bit stiffer for similar weight.
Fizik R1 a bit stiffer still, though their 00 series gets the weight WAY down with decent marks for its solid feel.
Ritchey WCS and Enve are also light and nice as well.
Lots of great options.

BlacksmithCycle.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks, I'll see what I do when I find out how much my current bars weigh.

stormur

by stormur

My Fizik Bull 42cm weight 256g... few grams difference to Rotundo 42cm or Ergonova 42 which is ... 40.5 on hoods.

From my tiny experience best works bars with short reach , but it's just me.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

So I weighed the handlebars today. 303 grams...

Does anyone know if the 3T ErgoNova Team (Stealth) changed from 2014 to 2015? I'm seeing some quite good offers on the 2014 model.

stormur

by stormur

I change bars , so will weight it again within 2-3 days ... or I'm very wrong, or very lucky :)
Mark Twain

F45

by F45

I see K Force bars all the time for around $70.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Fizik Cyrano R3, Bull, 42cm : 256g. Checked twice.
Mark Twain