Vittoria Cyclocross tubular tires: Good or ...?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

Why do I see lots of Vittoria XG or XM tubular tires for dirt cheap these days ? Half less than competition...

Are they not good ? Please explain.

Wich tubular is the best all round option for a "one set of every weather wheels" ?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I think I have the answer. I read a lot of the tubs leak at the valve stem out of the box.... :/

Louis :)

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Ah now I read this, awaiting a 'bargain' Vitttoria XG tub. Will see how it goes :P
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

stormur

by stormur

this "leak" is up to 0.8-1bar, then it "seals" by itself. Know 1 guy who rode it for a while- was more than pleased. Never had "valve issue" - but it was just 2 pcs ...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Geoff

by Geoff

I guess it depends on your terrain, too.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

@stormur, what do you mean it 'seals by itself,' am going to be using them exclusively in loose dry conditions

mattr

by mattr

Buy a few and learn how to replace tubular tubes?

It's not particularly hard. Well, not once you've done a few.
Might be worth it. (We use the tyres, tubelessly, and had no complaints.)

jgadd

by jgadd

I use XG tubular tyres and am really happy with them (I also use Challenge Limus for mud, but that's all I've got as a comparison).

The valve/extender thing is pretty annoying, but does indeed seal itself and works fine in practise. The main bonus I've noticed is that my 'polycotton' Vittorias still look fine after a season, while the sidewalls of my Challenge tyres look terrible! I can see the Vittorias only being thrown away when they're worn out, but the Limus will probably need replacing when the sidewalls are dead.
rideupgrades.co.uk

Twitter: @rideupgrades for the site, @gaddjames for the personal stuff.

stormur

by stormur

it means it leaks up to 1 bar max during pumping, above it holds perfectly. I doubt you'll use so low pressure whatsoever, so can't see any issue here.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Pre-stretching the tyre now, @stormur I kind of see what you mean for potential low pressure leakage as the valve extender slots onto the the 'nozzle' for lack of a better word where the o-ring keeps it snug

OJ

by OJ

Go for it if the tread works for you. I have a set of XM treads that I got for $30 and they seem to hold air just fine. I haven't glued/ridden them though...maybe going on wifey's bike...
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jooo

by jooo

Vittoria are also doing heaps of re-branding so they probably have old stock to clear out.

bikerector

by bikerector

I liked them when I was using them. Switched to schwalbe for the past 2 years and have been quite unpleased with them so I'm going back to vittoria and/or challenge. I don't care for the XM tread as much since it seems like a really dedicated mud tread and is pretty skiddish when it's dry and can't bite down into something. The XG's were really nice.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The XG is very similar to the classic grifo tread, but with better cornering knobs. The valve system is not the best, but it's livable for most people. I've always wondered why this tire isnt more popular. I had a set that I loved but sold them with a bike.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com