Cx1 crank problem

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gaisdergerman

by gaisdergerman

Hello,

I build my ridley x-fire 2013 to cx1. My lbs installed the crank.

There is a big spacer at the drive side. In my opinion the crank is to far from the frame. Especially in the lightest gear the chain line is far from ideal. Image

Is it possible to install the crank more nearby the frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

I think that the SRAM instructions specify the spacer in this position, however they often supply "generic" instructions which don't help too much with the product they're supplied with...

Assuming that the crank and BB are set up nicely, ie the cranks spin freely and no side to side movement, then you need to retain the overall width of spacers and shims on the BB axle, but they can be varied from drive to non-drive side in order to improve the chainline as you see fit.
So, if you want to move the chainring 3mm toward the chainstay, for example, then subtract 3mm from the drive side spacer width, and add that 3mm onto the non-drive side, that then retains the same overall width. Of course, that will move the left crank farther to the left, and can take quite a bit of time messing about with spacers.

Hope that helps......

vcnz

by vcnz

I had a Ridley X-Night last year with the CX1 group. What you're describing here is the reason for which I sold my bike and will not go for a single chainring anymore.

I train pretty hard to get some power in my legs, and wasting it due to bad chain-line is not really something I would want to do