building up a CX for wifey

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

currently i have a 2014 Redline Conquest Team in 51cm. but that's too tall for my wife to try and ride with comfortably. so wanted to build her one. she would need a SOH of 730mm (28.75").

will be building it up with canti, since i have an extra set laying around we can use.

budget for the carbon frameset would like to keep it arrow $1K.

any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

What are you looking for?

Your post is not quite clear.

Frame?
Groupset?

addictR1

by addictR1

Just frameset.

Geoff

by Geoff

The Ridley X-Fire works pretty well for women, in my experience. If you can get-away with a used frameset, you can probably be closer to $500.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

X-fire in 41 is pretty small. But, not the tall BB eats up some of it's standover (52mm drop).

Another great option is a Specialized Crux in 46. Very short and has a low bottom bracket. Like nearly an inch lower than the X-fire.

Geoff

by Geoff

Agreed, the high BB for all Ridley frames makes the standover quite high, but that is the nature of 'cross. It is always a toss-up between standover, reach and bar height. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but the terrain usually dictates the need for BB clearance, therefore the higher standover height. My X-Night is up there for standover height, but I have to run a 130mm stem rammed down on the headset in order to get the bars low enough. Far from perfect.

addictR1

by addictR1

awesome.. thanks guys! i'll look for x-fire and crux in 46. my wife likes riding cross, she finds better than MTB. but last time she almost crashed my redline cuz it was too tall for her. so need to break out the wallet before she breaks my redline. haha.

addictR1

by addictR1

ok i've tried looking for a crux and no dice for small size. x-fire SOH is high for her even in a 48cm.

anyone here rides a CX from Miracle? Looks like a CF bike MFG in China.

http://ebay.to/1OV6vhb

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You didn't say exactly how tall is your wife. I just went through this same exercise with my 5'2" wife. There is almost nothing in a true cross bike that fits properly. The best we could find was Giant TCX SLR in extra small. At some point you may have to give up on finding acceptable standover (particularly if you wife is short legged) and just get something with the correct stack and reach. As for Giant, you may not be able to find a TCX SLR in the XS size but their women's line (the ridiculously named LIV) has the Brava which is the exact same thing. The 105 version (full 105 and TRP Spyre brakes) is the best value on the market if it works for you. Stock wheels are criminally heavy though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

addictR1

by addictR1

wifey is 5'5" with standover at 29.8". yea it's getting hard to find her something in the CX.. now trying to convince her to go road frame instead. ;)

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

My friends wife has one of these. It's pretty sweet looking. Nice specs too.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... .htm#gsize
seems like it would fit?
Tubeless wheelset, Ultegra and Hydraulic brakes - unless she hates orange?

addictR1

by addictR1

I saw that one too. But she hates orange and alloy frames. Was thinking to get the Moto Ti version. $1699 and in her size.. :(

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

At 5'5" the XS Brava SLR would be a perfect fit.
If your looking at frameset only then it gets more complicated. Trek Crocket may work in the smallest size (too big for my wife though) and it is available in canti. Your wife might have to get over her dislike of Aluminum given the budget. Also lower end endurance road and cross frames will mostly be disc these days. Good luck.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

addictR1

by addictR1

Mr.Gib: thanks on the Brava. I'll have her check that out when she's in Taiwan next time. most giant dealers here in california doesn't have the Brava. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com