Convert 11-speed Ultegra RD to Shadow Plus?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Inspired by motorapido's excellent recent thread, I wonder if it's possible to convert a (non-Di2) Ultegra rear derailleur to Shadow Plus by using the clutch mechanism and cage from a Shimano MTB RD, e.g., a Shimano SLX Shadow Plus, or similar?

If anyone has ideas, please share :)

OJ

by OJ

Been thinking about the same, but have not pulled anything apart yet. Jtek Shiftmate 8 is claimed to allow mixing shimano road 11 with Shimano MTB 11, so you could use Shimano MTB derailleur as long as cable routing is compatible.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I don't have any answers. But did Shimano change the movement of the derailleurs when they made road and mountain incompatible a few years ago? Do the road and rear derailleurs, and front, move at different angles from each other? Have different locations for the pivot points? Your substituting the clutch mechanism and cage would not change this and they would not work the same.

motorapido

by motorapido

Road and MTB have completely different slant angles to the mech arms, and pivot points on the P-knuckle.
i have made a version that suits the 11 speed Ultegra 6870 Di2 mech, but haven't yet gone to 11 speed.

The connection points and angles are different to the 6770 mech, but might be the same as the cable version, the mech design certainly looks like its the same, and that is true for the 6700 6770 10 speed mechs.

You need to factor in the cost of a donor mech as well as a custom P knuckle, but depending on cage length desired a Zee can be picked up for less than £30.

PM me if would be interested.

motorapido

by motorapido

Well have got hold of an Ultegra 11 speed mechanical mech and its completely different spacing to the Di2 so my knuckle design won't work.

however have done some playing around with Shimano 11 speed road shifters, and a modified Shimano 10 speed MTB clutch mech and i have a solution that works in the bike stand, need to do some testing to prove it out on rides. Will keep you updated.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

A shame with the Ultegra RD. But promising with the Zee!

Would it essentially work like the Shiftmate 8?

motorapido

by motorapido

it works by altering the clamp point on the rear mech to give the correct pull ratio,

however unless i've missed it there isn't a Shiftmate that does 11 speed road shifter with 10 speed Shimano MTB mech and 11 speed road cassette.

The Shiftmate uses a stepped pulley to ratio the cable movement up or down as required.

Shiftmate 6 for 10 speed 10 speed and Shiftmate 8 for 11 speed 11 speed.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That's true, there's only one for 11-speed road shifter with 11-speed MTB mech (Shiftmate 8, as you said).

Interesting. I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com