My homemade carbon cantilever brakes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
jeremyb
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Stumptown USA
Contact:

by jeremyb

Hey all, i finished making the arms for my carbon cantilever brakes. I thought they came out pretty good. No rides on em yet, as im not quite done, but was excited to be as far as i am and wanted to share my progress. They didnt come out looking perfect, but i think theyll work, and i have some ideas on how to improve for the next go around.

Image


Yes, part of my inspiration was this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =kcnc+post


more info at my blog Plus One Lap (click on the link in my signature)

still more to come as I make the titanium spring.

by Weenie


User avatar
Post Man Pat
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Petting my black and white cat

by Post Man Pat

so how long did it take to make those?

User avatar
Boogie
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:40 pm
Location: Amsterdam , Netherlands
Contact:

by Boogie

If you're a looking for testpersons here I am :P

XTC-Max
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: Austria

by XTC-Max

nice job! Good to see fellow WWs picking up the idea. Dunno though whether a homemade Ti-spring is worth the effort (and cash). I made my springs from a normal 2.0 - 1.8 mm spoke that i had lying around in my garage

User avatar
jeremyb
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Stumptown USA
Contact:

by jeremyb

How long did it take?

Well, I didnt count actual hours. I got it done in about 10 days or so from start to finish--for both arms. It took a lot more time than I planned it taking.

I'm going to test these on the rear first, as there is significantly less stress on the rear brakes.

I know what you mean about the ti springs, I only saved 4 grams (over the stock empella springs---but the empella's are much smaller, so if i had made it out of steel, it might have weighes about 10-12 grams, saving me 5-7 grams). and it cost me $6.30. I could have used stainless 2.0 spokes that i also have laying around. If i were to do it again I would probably do it in stainless just to see what the weight is. The ti springs are done though, and some pics are up on my blog at www.plusonelap.blogspot.com


all thats left is to tune the brake pads, then i'll put them together, throw it on the scale one last time, and mount them on my bike. pics to follow.....

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post