Caad12 disc vs. Mares AX disc

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

I am looking for a “do it all” bike.

The bike shall be used for shorter rides (up to 2hrs.) on tarmac, lose gravel and a quick run on a light single track in the forest.

The bike setup will be:
1 x 11 – maybe 50/11-28
Hydraulic disc

I know I am limited on the Caad12 to 28mm. tires – however I recognize that there a several tires that I can use in the above mentioned.

What would you chose?

Best regards
Christian
Last edited by Champ5000 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickcube

by nickcube

I guess the bikes are two completely different things, but it depends on what you're ultimately looking for. The Focus Mares is going to have CX geometry, which means you won't be able to get as much on an extreme position if you are currently running one, so you'll be a tad higher up. The Mares is also carbon, so it'll probably absorb road buzz a little bit more, which would be handy for gravel. The choice is always up to you, but I would pick the Mares CX, especially if you end up doing a few gravel rides. If you aren't doing a whole heap of gravel riding, then I guess the CAAD will be the better choice for you, you wouldn't need much more for normal road riding. Is cross picking up in Denmark by any chance? :)

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi Nickcube

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry. I meant the headline to state Mares AX instead of CX.

I currently ride a aggresiv position on my road bike.

Best regards

Christian
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted the quote.

nickcube

by nickcube

Well that evens things out a fair bit then, personally I'd take the CAAD over the mares any day if thats the case. You building it from scratch?

Champ5000

by Champ5000

I would either purchase the 105 or Ultegra model and adjust it from there with new cockpit, seatpost, saddle and wheels/tyres.

One point that I would like Cannondale had made different is the quick release system to thru axel system.

I am defiantly not an expert within this field but I keep reading various places that thru axel is the system for the years ahead.

nickcube

by nickcube

Personally, I'd go the Ultegra route, that extra money you spend goes into the build spec. The QR front and rear is probably the only drawback, but the QR is still a stable market, it doesn't look like it'll be going far anytime soon, unlike the current thru-axel market which has a bunch of standards going around. Road-disc bikes are still deciding on what standard to use still, but 12mm thru axels look like the standard people are probably going to adopt. QRx100mm and QRx135mm hubs are still dead simple to find currently, and with a nice set of wheels you should be set for a while. The Prolite Revo A21 disc looks like a good set, and you can save half a kilo there. It's probably not the most future-proofed bike, though it does have flat-mount brakes, but a lot is going to change in the next few years in road cycling anyway. It must be hell for any roadie who descends onto this hell of axel standards, a nice F U! to whoever creates this standards

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Just a very quick and ignorant question - Can the Caad12 be assembled with a wheelset with thru axel system?
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted this quote as well.

nickcube

by nickcube

All good, and you could use an adapter for the front to turn a 15x100mm thru axel into a QRx100mm wheel, but you won't be able to do so on the rear, since it's the narrowest standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

I have the AX 1.0 Disc.

In my opinion it's overbuilt and needlessly heavy, especially considering what you'd be using it for.

I've got a CAAD mtb (Flash) and it's a much more nuanced machine. I imagine the CAAD12 will be a dream.

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Just saw this Focus Cayo AL disc.

http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/ ... c-105.html

Like the clean lines and internal cables.

Does anyone know how wide tires it will accommodate?

I notice that it is priced as the Mares with similar components.

What do you think of this taking my use of the bike into consideration?

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

These are totally different bikes. I have a AX 2.0 Disc (2015 model) and it compliments my road bike well for bad weather and gravel, but I wouldn't want it as my only road bike. (its pretty hilly by me and its > 20 pounds stock, size 56) If you think you will be hitting more trails or gravel/dirt then the AX does have the benefit of being able to run 40c WTB Nano race tires on it, which are almost cross country mtb tires. They turn the bike into a real offroad and gravel machine.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

Champ5000 wrote:Hi all

I am looking for a “do it all” bike.

The bike shall be used for shorter rides (up to 2hrs.) on tarmac, lose gravel and a quick run on a light single track in the forest.

The bike setup will be:
1 x 11 – maybe 50/11-28
Hydraulic disc

I know I am limited on the Caad12 to 28mm. tires – however I recognize that there a several tires that I can use in the above mentioned.

What would you chose?

Best regards
Christian

please take a look at my CAAD10 disc 1x11

http://eliflap.it/2015/10/08/caad-10-disc-redi2-8/

maybe someone can find some tips

i have installed 28mm tubulars and the rear wheel must be deflated to be mounted into the frame

PS shifters are not definitive , work in progress

PS again :lol: : today 1st ride !! awesome
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Great looking bike.

Which chainring is that?

28mm. is max size for the frame?