Tell me which CX disc bike I should buy

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'm sure the Giant will be updated next year, so I'm not so keen on that one. Also I'm not liking the Rose (it looks cheap IMHO).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RazorL

by RazorL

I'll be running a planet X XLS this season.
Kinda cheap and looks beautiful in the flanders color scheme.

vcnz

by vcnz

I've been collecting CX bikes for quite a while and last year I ended up having Ridley X-Night, Trek Boone and Colnago Prestige for racing.

I bought the Colnago Prestige almost end of the season in January, but it really blew my mind. I like it far more than Ridley and Trek. So far the best CX bike I ever owned (I had quite a few)
It turns out that I just bought a 2nd Colnago Prestige. So I have disc and canti.

I didn't test other top cx bikes but I find hard to believe there might something else I like more than Colnago Prestige
If the thru axle is not a real constrain, my advice would be to consider a Colnago

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Why do you prefer the Colnago ?

vcnz

by vcnz

I love it because it's way more responsive than Boone and X-Night.
Also, I like how I can handle the bike in slow technical sections and cornering, it works better for my riding style at least.

I'm not saying Boone and X-Night are not good, but I like the Prestige way way more. I think it's also a matter of personal taste and riding style.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I ended up ordering a Focus Mares CX with Ultegra. I'll probably make a thread once I start upgrading it (I think I'll start with just wheels, tires and saddle).

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Got the bike Thursday evening, and raced it Sunday. It's stock except for the tires, which I changed to Maxxis Mudwrestlers. Also set them up tubeless. The weight with Shimano PD-m540 pedals is currently 8.75 kg. Not too bad I think, but I hope to get it below 8 kg by the national championships in January.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

You might want to check the new issue of Velonews - a detailed new CX bike bake off in there.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Could you be a bit more specific :) ? Can I find it on the website (and where)?

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

the_marsbar wrote: The weight with Shimano PD-m540 pedals is currently 8.75 kg. Not too bad I think, but I hope to get it below 8 kg by the national championships in January.

Saddle is 243g so easy 100g there.

Wheelset is 1.764 so easy (but expensive) 350g there.

The next 300g will be more tricky. Handlebar?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'm thinking about modifying the RD with a clutch and cage from a MTB RD (I don't like the ridiculously long cage currently installed anyway). Then ditching the FD and replacing chain rings with a narrow/wide, and removing the inner chainguide/bash guard (50 grams) should save a chunk. On the new wheels (goal is max 1300 g) swapping the heavy XT rotors for Hope Race X2 rotors will save ~ 100 grams. The brake caliper bolts are steel, and will be titanium.

I don't know about the handlebars, I'll weigh them when I redo the bar tape (which looked shitty when I picked it up). The carbon stem might be swapped for a shorter one (currently 110 mm).

I'll also be using the pedals from my MTB for the important races (260 g vs 350 for the PD-m540s).

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Which chainring?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Revolution Components. You can find them on facebook, and http://www.revolutioncomponents.com/.

I prefer Shimano's brakes, that's why I didn't go with Force CX1 :)

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

the_marsbar wrote:Could you be a bit more specific :) ? Can I find it on the website (and where)?

I looked on the website and it looks like the reviews seperated. In he new issue it say "Cross is coming" on the cover and they compare the Santa Cruz, Felt, Crux and one other. They pick the Crux.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

According to this article I didn't choose wrongly ;)

Link: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... kes-45361/

The Focus gets a 5/5 for frame and handling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com