CX suggestion: Alu frame, full carbon fork and 1 x 11

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

Looking for an aluminium cross bike with:

- Full carbon fork
- Thru axel front and rear
- 1 x 11
- Hydraulic brakes
- Preferably a classic geometry

What would you suggest?

Seems like the aluminium models that I have been looking at all come with 2 x 11.

Alternative a frame kit could also be the solution in order to setup the bike, as I prefer.

Best regards

Christian

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Can you get a Focus Mares AX frameset? Only their top-of-the-line CX Force 1 comes with 1x11 unfortunately.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi Wrenegade

Thank you for your reply.

I am pretty hooked on a Mares AX however would like alternatives.

I think it will end with me trying sourching an AX frame kit.

grover

by grover

Trek Crockett? No rear thru axle though.
Otherwise I'd be saying Focus Mares AX too.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Trek recently trimmed their line (eliminated the 2014 bikes), and there's nothing currently available with hydro brakes and a 1x11 setup (only canti brakes available 1x11).

I went with the 2014 frameset when I put my bike together, and it is great. They did make some upgrades, namely the thru-axle front fork and full carbon steerer. The rear is still QR, though.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

I have a Marex AX 1.0. Lovely looking bike, great fork. But it's quite heavy and the straight chain stays catch my heel in technical terrain. I would suggest Cannondale.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

Giant TCX DISC SLR 1 2015

Starter

by Starter

elmar schrauth wrote:Giant TCX DISC SLR 1 2015

I'd stay away from that particular bike... They claim sub 1200 grams for a medium frame on their website, but my medium is north of 1550g for the frame, stripped...

The Trek Crockett is available as a frameset, and my friend verified that frame as 1250g for a size 56 frame...

I think building a 1x11 bike might be cheaper anyway... Those groupsets are overpriced when sold as a whole or with a bike. I built up my 1x11 set up with Rival 1 right shifter ($85) left brake ($43), TRP Spyre calipers ($120 via eBay) XX1 cassette ($199 via eBay) Rival 1 long cage derailleur ($85) and a Rotor 3D30 crankset ($200 via Ebay)... Cheaper than the lowest price on a Force CX1 group anywhere, and around a half pound lighter thanks to the Rotor cranks, TRP Spyre calipers, and XX1 cassette. I used Rival 1 shifter/brake/RD rather than Force 1 because they are much cheaper, mechanically identical, and a total of 9 grams heavier.

I'm suggesting TRP Spyres, although they are mechanical disc brakes... I honestly don't see the need for hydraulics in cross... Sure, they stop with more authority, but you don't really need that, you need even modulation, and mechanicals are superior in that capacity, particularly on cross courses. Not to mention they are lighter, easier to set up, MUCH less hassle, etc. etc. etc. For CX... Mechanicals all day. But I digress.

Anyway, figure $879 for the Crocket frameset, around $750 for the 1x11 groupset above, $400 towards some decent wheels (I scored some brand-new Velocity Major Tom Pros for $360 on eBay), then another $300 to sort out cockpit, tires, saddle, and incidentals, and you have yourself a damn light rig for around $2300... Right around what Ultegra/105-equipped models with heavy-ass wheels go for.
Oof.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

I just checked two TCX SLR 1, they far from 1500 in m-l!

limba

by limba

Rock Lobster? Cool company, long time supporter of the sport, something different ...

http://www.cxmagazine.com/pro-bike-cour ... aul-sadoff

Starter

by Starter

elmar schrauth wrote:I just checked two TCX SLR 1, they far from 1500 in m-l!

My medium has a verified weight of 1578g, stripped. Over on MTBr someone weighed their small and it came in at 1485g with BB and hanger, so around 1400g stripped.

Do you have a pic or two of the two unbuilt frames you weighed?

Also worth noting that Giant won't do a thing for you if you buy a frame and it comes in overweight... See the link to my thread below. Dunno if I'd be suggesting this frame to anyone. It's possible you got really lucky and have two frames that both weigh spec, or close to a pound less than what people seem to be reporting. But on the off-chance someone isn't as lucky as you, they will have no recourse, as Giant doesn't believe a frame weighing nearly 30% over officially claimed specs constitutes a warranty claim.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=135173
Oof.

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Just saw this video made by GCN about gravel bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKMVsMqaErs

This is just what I need :-) A gravel bike. I did not know that they existed.

However - I have just been browsing through the "big players" webpages and I notice that they do not make these - yet.

Or -

Ridley X-Trail http://www.ridley-bikes.com/be/en/bikes/allroad/x-trail

The bike shall be used for shorter rides (up to 2hrs.) on tarmac, lose gravel and a quick run on a light single track in the forest.

Any comments or any alternatives to the Ridley?

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

+1 for mares. 2015 model can take thru axle MTB wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

You're not going to have an easy time finding what you're asking for.

+1 for Rock Lobster, though you're going to have to deal with the lead time.