Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bbvanh

by bbvanh

babylou wrote:Another rider here on Nox Skyline 275.

What tires do you use? I assume tubeless as well?

babylou

by babylou

Currently running Schwalbe G-One Allrounder, 650bX40 with Orange Seal Endurance sealant. Tires mounted san levers but needed a compressor to seat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i love these bikes and am thinking about it big time! but pls can you help a noob:
1. what other than aesthetics is the benefit of a leftie fork (i love the way they look, just want to know what to tell the people who will be asking me all the questions)
2. how do i run power on such a crank? stages? id prefer srm. any thoughts? ive got a 50/34 srm crank. could i use that?
3. i want to run the bike on long rides on dirt roads here in australia. its the corrugations that mainly worry me. i'm on the right track right? like why not buy a mountain bike with full suspension for same thing? is it just preference or is dual suspension more for very uneven surfaces?
4. would i achieve a similar outcome with a cx bike with a one of those lauf grit forks?
5. you could race cx with a slate for sure right?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^If the washboard roads are bad a FSXC 29" bike would be better (Scalpel, Scale RC, etc). Just put drop bars and appropriate tires on it. If you want to stick with a hardtail I'd choose a 700c "gravel grinder" with room for wide tires and a Lauf fork. I don't think the Slate is the best tool for your use.

mrgray

by mrgray

sorry off topic - deleted

thanks for the feedback.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

babylou

by babylou

mrgray wrote:i love these bikes and am thinking about it big time! but pls can you help a noob:
1. what other than aesthetics is the benefit of a leftie fork (i love the way they look, just want to know what to tell the people who will be asking me all the questions)
2. how do i run power on such a crank? stages? id prefer srm. any thoughts? ive got a 50/34 srm crank. could i use that?
3. i want to run the bike on long rides on dirt roads here in australia. its the corrugations that mainly worry me. i'm on the right track right? like why not buy a mountain bike with full suspension for same thing? is it just preference or is dual suspension more for very uneven surfaces?
4. would i achieve a similar outcome with a cx bike with a one of those lauf grit forks?
5. you could race cx with a slate for sure right?

1. Lefty compared to other suspension forks has better small bump absorption, is lighter, stiffer and more aero but is more costly and needs slightly more maintenance.
2. SRM should fit.
3. Slate is good for this terrain. Dual suspension MTB is for big drops of 75cm+ or seriously rough singletrack. I've ridden all but the hardest trails in Fruita & Moab on a hardtail. Ain't no road like those trails!
4. CX bike with Lauf is a good option but some CX bikes are limited to 35mm tire width whereas Slate can go to 45mm. Width = traction, comfort and puncture protection.
5. The Slate would be good but not perfect because it is maybe 500g heavier than a dedicated CX bike and a bit harder to shoulder because of the sloping top tube.

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks very much babylou.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

babylou

by babylou

Here's my Slate and the tweaks:

1. NOX/Project321/Sapim CX-Ray wheels - The rear hub driver is a new in house P321 design and it very nice! Hubs are Orange Anodized.
1B. P321 supplied Orange anodized SiSl2 cranks. 100g lighter than SL cranks.
2. Scwalbe G-One Allrounder 650bX40 with Orange Seal Endurance formula
3. Ergon CF3 Seatpost - best $220 I ever spent. So cushy.
3B. Selle Italia Novus saddle. I love them but to each their own.
4. Old 10 spd XTR rear derailleur + Wolf Tooth Tanpan SH11. Yes it works & no chain slap.
5. SRAM PG-1170 11-36 cassette
6. Garmin Varia lights, Topeak CagePack - Hold my Samsung S7, keys, ID, tube, patch kit, tire plug kit, Park multi-tool with room to spare, King stainless cages and Soma clear water bottle, old Topeak frame pump, tiny rubber plug to cover the exposed dropper seatpost cable port

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151465924 ... res/0zVNa3

Edit: I dunno how to upload the image so at least there's a link!

jooo

by jooo

babylou wrote:The rear hub driver is a new in house P321 design and it very nice!

Unless you've got something altogether different, it's Industry Nine Torch which has been around for a few years now.

babylou

by babylou

jooo wrote:
babylou wrote:The rear hub driver is a new in house P321 design and it very nice!

Unless you've got something altogether different, it's Industry Nine Torch which has been around for a few years now.

It's something different altogether :D . P321 just started shipping them this year. They have filed a utility patent and build in house. Two different points of engagement and loud or quiet are offered. I have quiet and it is nearly silent. I hope it proves to be durable.

jooo

by jooo

Interesting :) Seems like it has been hush hush, no news on their website/FB for quite a few months now. Do you have a beta version or something?

wingguy

by wingguy

mrgray wrote:1. what other than aesthetics is the benefit of a leftie fork (i love the way they look, just want to know what to tell the people who will be asking me all the questions)

The Lefty is a dual crown fork (clamps the steerer above and below the headtube) which gives massive stiffness benefits in fore/aft and lateral flex. Because of this they can use only one leg so the result is still very light. You would think one leg leaves it open to torsional problems, but actually what they have is a square stanchion sliding on roller bearings on the inside (vs round stanchions and bushings on normal forks) which means the fork is stiffer in torsion than trad forks, and avoids problems with forks binding up when the legs are being bent under heavy loads.

So as a structure it's a great design - the downside of Lefty is that Cannondale don't have the resources to keep up with the bigger suspension companies when it comes to damping circuits. That's partly why they've never been able to carve out a lasting market for their long travel Lefties, but with the very short travel of the Slate's Lefty that's not really going to be an issue.

jakkel

by jakkel

I've mounted a couple of handbuilt Dt RR511db wheels on the Slate, with in the front a Powerway hub and in the back a Novatec. The spokes are Sapim Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMt301vImE

2004 Cannondale F600SL Sobe
2012 Cannondale SS EVO HM SRAM Red
2013 Cannondale F29 carbon2
2017 Cannondale Slate Apex

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

That is a very nice Slate.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reippuert

by reippuert

jefftillack wrote:Knowing nothing about the Slate, does it have a lockout on the fork at all (ala most mtb's)??? I know Cannondale make great bikes, but I just can't get past the one fork thing. To me it just doesn't look right/balanced. But I've not heard anything bad about the setup so it obviously works. Hope you enjoy it.

Compared to Cannondal lefty/fatty forks - other suspension fork's does not have a decent lockout.

Yes, cannondale forks does have lockout - way more locked out that best forks from fox, rockshock or marrochi etc...
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66