Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

bikewithnoname wrote:I find it a bit bizarre that anyone would put a set of M60 enduro/trail enve's on a Slate, if you're riding the the terrain that requires such a strong rim then maybe you're on the wrong niche bike! Still if you've got the money it's your call

In regards to you feeling the rim is overkill - I wanted to have a big thick and boxy rim to stay straight and true. Remember, it's got very little tire protecting it as the Slate is restrictive with its rear tire clearance. The additional width is obviously beneficial as you know (or read my previous post). So that's part of the reason why I chose M60 rims over M50 rims. Another is that the front spokes are ~6mm shorter and rear spokes ~4mm shorter. That fact coupled with the stiffer rim = more help when trying to establish Lefty dominance on the road ;-)

Hope this helps you see how I made my decision. I've also been selling, building, and installing Enve wheels on customer bikes through the years and have never owned a pair for myself. Figured it was about time and I deserved something nice :-) With that said I probably wouldn't go this route (or own a Slate for that matter) if I was still in a position to own multiple bikes. I use the Slate for commuting, road cycling, and mountain biking.

-=Terry

Berserker26

by Berserker26

Question for you Slate owners - I have a new mechanic who swapped over my chainring to 50/34. Removed a link from the chain etc... Since then there has been 2 issues

1 - The gear indexing is out. I've had it back 4 times (not experienced with Shimano) to rectify. He cannot get it right. It was rubbing on the 34 and 3-4 easiest gears. He's got rid of the FD rubbing but now it sounds like stretching/grating sort of noise in the same gears. Told me last time I took it in that he cannot do any more, that's just how it is. The front derailleur on the (Ultegra) Slate isn't usually paired like this, something about braze-on..??, and that I'd have to live with the noise. I refuse to believe it. The bike was silent on the factory 52/36.

2 - There is a noise (rythmic tic sort of sound) coming from the rear wheel while freewheeling (well at least independent from pedaling) that was never there before. May or may not be related to the above. Happened at the same time however. He has removed the rear axle end caps, cleaned, re-greased and re-fitted, and increased spoke tension by a 1/4 turn. Greased the thru axle. greased pedal threads. Noise is still there and he reckons he cannot think of anything else it could be.

Any ideas? I'm thinking I need to take it to another mechanic as I'm definitely getting the 'fobbed off, you're too hard' feeling.
Cannondale Slate Ultegra
Trek Fuel EX8
Marin Pine Mountain 1

-----
Retired bikes
Fuji Cross 1.3
Fuji Absolute 3.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

TerryatSecondPeak wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:I find it a bit bizarre that anyone would put a set of M60 enduro/trail enve's on a Slate, if you're riding the the terrain that requires such a strong rim then maybe you're on the wrong niche bike! Still if you've got the money it's your call

In regards to you feeling the rim is overkill - I wanted to have a big thick and boxy rim to stay straight and true. Remember, it's got very little tire protecting it as the Slate is restrictive with its rear tire clearance. The additional width is obviously beneficial as you know (or read my previous post). So that's part of the reason why I chose M60 rims over M50 rims. Another is that the front spokes are ~6mm shorter and rear spokes ~4mm shorter. That fact coupled with the stiffer rim = more help when trying to establish Lefty dominance on the road ;-)

Hope this helps you see how I made my decision. I've also been selling, building, and installing Enve wheels on customer bikes through the years and have never owned a pair for myself. Figured it was about time and I deserved something nice :-) With that said I probably wouldn't go this route (or own a Slate for that matter) if I was still in a position to own multiple bikes. I use the Slate for commuting, road cycling, and mountain biking.

-=Terry

I'm trying to decide what wheels to upgrade the stock ones with. I'm running WTB Horizon 47mm and they *just* fit with the stock rims. Really want to run tubeless and some carbon hoops. I've so far looked at the Enves, Stans Valor, and Mavic Crossmax carbon. Kinda perplexing, but I'm also considering just running the WTBs or similar with latex tubes. Anyone else upgraded their wheels?

bbvanh

by bbvanh

alexroseinnes wrote:
TerryatSecondPeak wrote:

-=Terry

I'm trying to decide what wheels to upgrade the stock ones with. I'm running WTB Horizon 47mm and they *just* fit with the stock rims. Really want to run tubeless and some carbon hoops. I've so far looked at the Enves, Stans Valor, and Mavic Crossmax carbon. Kinda perplexing, but I'm also considering just running the WTBs or similar with latex tubes. Anyone else upgraded their wheels?

Nox Skyline 27.5. Very happy with it...

babylou

by babylou

Elias1098r wrote:
Pottsy wrote:I like the bar tape.

Here is a little something to hold you guys over till I get a complete picture.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Can you please tell me were did you buy the OPI stem, an also what do I need to make this fit my cannondale slate size M.can you list all the parts needed for this stem.
Share a link were to buy the complete system.
Anyone.
I love that set up .
Please

Didn't Cannondale discontinue use of the OPI stem system due to creaking and potential steerer tube failure? There were 2 recalls. First a thicker steerer with a shoulder then an internal expanding wedge system to bridge the threaded joint to stiffen the assembly. The OPI may look nice but sure doesn't sound like something I'd want to attach my handlebars to.

triteacher226

by triteacher226

You are right about the recalls. But - as I have been riding the OPI steerers/stems on my 29er for the past couple of years and put them to pretty heavy use - without experiencing any issues whatsoever - I could see no reasons why I wouldn't be riding them on my Slate. No doubt almost nobody will ride their Slate the way you would hammer a proper mountainbike...

babylou

by babylou

TerryatSecondPeak wrote:Working on a plug for the vacant cable ports for those who routed cables/hoses on one side. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

-=Terry

I plugged my open port with a conical rubber plug purchased from McMaster Carr (6448K89). I had to buy 50 but still only US$12. In hindsight I wish I would have bought one size larger (6448K91).

kode54

by kode54

Berserker26 wrote:Question for you Slate owners - I have a new mechanic who swapped over my chainring to 50/34. Removed a link from the chain etc... Since then there has been 2 issues

1 - The gear indexing is out. I've had it back 4 times (not experienced with Shimano) to rectify. He cannot get it right. It was rubbing on the 34 and 3-4 easiest gears. He's got rid of the FD rubbing but now it sounds like stretching/grating sort of noise in the same gears. Told me last time I took it in that he cannot do any more, that's just how it is. The front derailleur on the (Ultegra) Slate isn't usually paired like this, something about braze-on..??, and that I'd have to live with the noise. I refuse to believe it. The bike was silent on the factory 52/36.

2 - There is a noise (rythmic tic sort of sound) coming from the rear wheel while freewheeling (well at least independent from pedaling) that was never there before. May or may not be related to the above. Happened at the same time however. He has removed the rear axle end caps, cleaned, re-greased and re-fitted, and increased spoke tension by a 1/4 turn. Greased the thru axle. greased pedal threads. Noise is still there and he reckons he cannot think of anything else it could be.

Any ideas? I'm thinking I need to take it to another mechanic as I'm definitely getting the 'fobbed off, you're too hard' feeling.

since one link was removed...is it possible that the top jockey wheel is too close to the cassette cogs? B-screw adjustment necessary?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

babylou

by babylou

I've never worked on internal cable systems. In a few days I will swap my rear derailleur for a clutched XTR with Wolf Tooth TanPan. Assuming I require a longer cable do I just yank the current cable and slip the new cable in?

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

Bike is awesome. Been riding it for a couple weeks now.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berserker26

by Berserker26

Wanting to know people's setups for their forks now we've all had a chance to be riding some more. I'm about 95% on road or gravel paths.

Reason being - got my Slate serviced and the guys let air out to about 120psi (i'm about 100kg all loaded up) where as I'd always had the fork at 200psi as per the chart on the fork. I have to say now with less air the ride is much better and I don't notice bobbing, only a bit when I climb as I don't lock it out for small uphills spurts. Rebound sits in the middle, i've honestly never played with it much.

I'm now intrigued to know your settings and why the recommendation is to have the fork pressure so high?
Cannondale Slate Ultegra
Trek Fuel EX8
Marin Pine Mountain 1

-----
Retired bikes
Fuji Cross 1.3
Fuji Absolute 3.0

jefftillack

by jefftillack

Knowing nothing about the Slate, does it have a lockout on the fork at all (ala most mtb's)??? I know Cannondale make great bikes, but I just can't get past the one fork thing. To me it just doesn't look right/balanced. But I've not heard anything bad about the setup so it obviously works. Hope you enjoy it.

babylou

by babylou

Berserker26 wrote:Wanting to know people's setups for their forks now we've all had a chance to be riding some more. I'm about 95% on road or gravel paths.

Reason being - got my Slate serviced and the guys let air out to about 120psi (i'm about 100kg all loaded up) where as I'd always had the fork at 200psi as per the chart on the fork. I have to say now with less air the ride is much better and I don't notice bobbing, only a bit when I climb as I don't lock it out for small uphills spurts. Rebound sits in the middle, i've honestly never played with it much.

I'm now intrigued to know your settings and why the recommendation is to have the fork pressure so high?

I'm at ~90kg including bike and 140 psi. I will try a bit lower. Nothing bigger than a curb drop for me.

babylou

by babylou

jefftillack wrote:Knowing nothing about the Slate, does it have a lockout on the fork at all (ala most mtb's)??? I know Cannondale make great bikes, but I just can't get past the one fork thing. To me it just doesn't look right/balanced. But I've not heard anything bad about the setup so it obviously works. Hope you enjoy it.

Since you "just can't get past the one fork thing" why do you care about a lockout?

babylou

by babylou

Another rider here on Nox Skyline 275.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com