Can't decide on a cross bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out what cross bike to get... I currently have a Kona Major Jake, which I like, but I want something with disc brakes.

I have been looking at the Santa Cruz Stigmata, but it's just very very expensive for what you get IMO (was looking at the Rival-equipped bike).

A friend of mine wants to get the pink Trek Crockett disc frameset, which is reasonably priced. Does the blue disc frameset also have a carbon steerer tube? The website doesn't list it specifically, and it's a bit cheaper (my guess is no). Also, does anyone know what the Crockett disc frame weighs?

I will be building it up with hydraulic Ultegra, either with mechanical or electronic shifting. Some decent wheels, but haven't decided on anything yet.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced really nice bikes/frames? The Turner Cyclosys looks nice as well, but seems quite expensive too...

Any help will be appreciated :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

The Blue disc Crockett does NOT come with the thru axle fork, hence the price difference, however you can upgrade it for an additional cost. I am also looking at the pink Crockett disc frame, however I have this feeling in my gut that they are going to come out with a thru axle rear Crockett frame in the next year so I am holding out for that.

grover

by grover

Blue frame - been available for more than a year - quick release fork, alloy steerer
Pink frame - available last couple of months - thru axle fork, carbon steerer

Frame is advertised as 1200grams.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That's not too bad actually... Geometry seems nice too.

boots2000

by boots2000

New Crux or Stigmata. Make sure you are future-proofed.
Flat mount brakes, internal cables, thru axle front and 142mm thru axle rear.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Has the Crux changed for 2016? I haven't seen any information on it yet.

I assume the Crockett has support for Di2 as well?

AugustBystrup

by AugustBystrup

The new Crux (Pro and S-works) has 12mm thru axles front and rear.

The rear brake is mounted on the chainstay, and the cable is routed inside the chainstay. The front brake cable goes through the fork.

Otherwise it resembles the 2015 pretty closely. The alloy models are the same as last year.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hej August :)

I am actually not a huge fan of internal cabling. It's more important that the frame supports Di2.

Still looking mainly at Trek.
Last edited by the_marsbar on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Crockett supports Di2. Trek sells a Di2 version (Crockett 9). I've got the blue frame set, and I'm having it upgraded to hydraulic brakes as we speak. Cabling is mostly internal*.

* All derailleur cables enter and go down the downtube internally, but they exit through a large port on the frame and are then routed externally to the derailleurs. Mechanical brake cables are also internal, but the hydraulic housings are routed externally on hangers that are built in, from the factory. Katie Compton ran her housings internally, but that required drilling out the frame to accept the wider housings.

Alpinetrailer

by Alpinetrailer

My blue Crockett Canti frame weighed 1600g.
Advertised weights are way off.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hmm. Heart says Stigmata, wallet says Crockett.

I'd like to do the Three Peaks next year.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Why not stay Kona?

BTW don't go Specialized. They chose some strange hub specs for the new Crux.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

They are difficult to get in Denmark apparently. But maybe I should send them an e-mail anyway ;)

I'm very unlikely to get a Specialized. But the 12 mm front axle is supposed to be a new road disc standard according to these articles, so maybe not so strange after all:
- http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/02/201 ... hru-axles/
- http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/07/sco ... atibility/

But having said the above, I much prefer 15 mm front axles and 12 x 142 mm rear axles because of the compatibility with most mountain bikes.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

You can just buy one from UK. Major jake is only available with rival 1*11 though.

Specialized is using theit own standard for rear wheel. The hub spacing is going to be their own proprietary deal with the 135x10 SCS (aka Short Chain Stay) aka 135x10 TA You can read more about it here: http://service.specialized.com/collater ... 040845.pdf (if you have the time)

I dont know if 12mm or 15mm will be the standard but I haven't seen any forks for 12mm TA.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I think I just found an even better bike than the Stigmata. The Norco Threshold. There's just no distributor here, and the 56 cm is not available at Evans anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com