Lightest high pressure tubeless rim

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin3182

by Kevin3182

Hello,
Im looking for something that basically the stans grail, but the grails are super heavy. Ideally i could run the rim at low pressure tubeless for cross races, and then throw a tube in during the summer months for high pressure (80-100 with 28c tire) gravel/road riding. From my searches the grails are really the best option but i want lighter! Enves and the like are kind of out of the question so ideally cheaper the better too.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tom-s

by Tom-s

I'm running light-bicycle rims. I'm using the 29er version hookless light with 22mm inner width @ 335-340gram a piece (advertised 365g +- 15g).
I run them with 37mm summer tires with 40-50 psi so they probably work with 28mm tires on 80 psi.
They state a 70psi max but with that small tires you'll be fine @ higher pressures.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You can setup any road rim to be tubeless. Buy the lightest rim you can and run two strips of Stan's No Tubes rim strips to ensure a seal.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

You "can" run road rims or hookless rims tubeless at higher pressures but it doesn't mean it's safe. Some people have done it and been fine but in both cases you are pushing the rim beyond it's spec and introducing additional risk.

If you really want light and tubeless, nobody else comes close to the older style ENVE XC rim right now. There are some other companies that are getting lighter but still aren't that light (Nox or Light-Bike are both introducing road tubeless rims).
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

weenie

by weenie

I'm sure you have reasons for using a tube - but just i case:
I run my pacenti sl23 tubeless /stan - 35PSI for CX-ish (im 160lbs/70kg) and 55PSI for road (its plenty stiff already on 30ish mm tires, i guess an heavier rider would go 60/70 max)
ideally you'll want to have diff. tires between road and CX anyway as well (and it ain't fun to switch, sealant goes everywhere, you have to clean the rim a bit if you switch to tube for a long time, etc)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TAMU, I've put over 10,000 miles on converted road rims (Reynolds and Zipps). Neither was designed for tubeless, and never had a failure of the tire on the rim. The pressure exerted on the rim is exactly the same, whether it is with tubes or as tubeless. Please show me an example of where a standard, converted rim has failed because it was being run tubeless.

Mind you, I'm running a non-tubeless wheel with a tubeless specific tire (be it Hutchinson or Bontrager).

zsommer79

by zsommer79

I have a Trek Boone the I run Enve M50s on and have taken it on quite a few road rides. You will notice the lack of aero more than the weight of the wheels if you are riding with a fast group.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

FIJIGabe,

Like I said, you "can" do it and running tubeless tires will help due to the stiffer bead. While the pressure is the same, the issue is a lack of the bead lock on non-tubeless wheels. The tube is what provides the pressure to hold the bead against the rim in normal clinchers. On non-tubeless wheels, without a tube, the bead can move from the rim, especially if there is a loss in pressure or an impact to the tire causing the tire to remove itself from the rim in a catastrophic manner. I have seen this happen to a local guy who had set up a ghetto cx tubular set up but thankfully the speeds weren't high enough at that moment for it to cause real damage to him or the bike.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com