Open Cycles U.P.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

This looks really good (temporary blog link):

http://www.opencycle.com/blogs

Road geometry on a gravel bike with room for mountain bike wheels. Jan Heine has recently written about a similar concept but much heavier.

Dropping the chainstays: a clever way to get more tire clearance:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Oh that looks great, loving the bit about road geometry in particular. Current monster-cross-ish frames like Singular Peregrine and Van Dessel WTF are boat anchors. Unfortunately we don't really have the right terrain here, the lumber roads are mostly good enough for a road bike with maxed out tyres, while the singletrails are not such that one would ride them with drop bars for fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TuplaO

by TuplaO

This one really caught my attention. Many of the details and concepts are bang on what I've been looking for. The thing is, I need a cyclocross bike, but I've been debating whether it really needs to be an actual cx bike, with the riding I do. Road bike meets gravel bike meets cx bike meets xc bike seems to be just the ticket. Now, all I need is sufficient funds...

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Yes, this looks really great.

Specs:
Bottom bracket: 386 EVO
Parts: MTB/cross/road for rear derailleur, cassette, chain. Road front derailleur direct, MTB via adapter
Frame weight: 1150g

Considering they mentioned several "tricks" to reduce weight, I am assuming that would be the frame + fork weight... or am I being too optimistic?

Permanent link here: http://www.opencycle.com/blogs/article/introducing-up

stormur

by stormur

Weight is for frame only.

Open 1.0 is not so much demanded as they thought , so next try… Cervelo was brilliant marketing project/ strategy but it's not gonna happened again . Sorry guys.

Having sale close to zero ( in relation to premium/ super premium brands ) they behave like established boutique business with hottest names on waiting list…. Funny.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

djconnel

by djconnel

That's an excellent weight given the amount of paint on the bike. Vroomen's good for an honest number, not the "no paint, no hangers" approach that's too common, let alone the traditional Pinarello approach of leaving out the bottom bracket shell, or for that matter picking a mutant-small frame size. Those chain stays, for example, have some heft to them.

You don't want a bike like this to be as light as a climbing bike for the road. You need a bit of beef there to give it more durability.

It still comes out lighter than Pinarello Dogmas were before the latest iteration.

Put some supple 362 gram Compass tires on this guy and it would be a fantastic all-around ride.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

djconnel wrote:

Dropping the chainstays: a clever way to get more tire clearance:

ugly though

airwise

by airwise

AFAIK there's no word on the geometry yet.

Bloody stupid if you ask me to launch a bike without any word on sizing or likely handling traits.

I really can't see them being around long unfortunately.

boots2000

by boots2000

I think there is a good chance that the geometry could be crap.
They allude to many things that are contradictory to having good geometry.
Room for huge tires- this could mean stays are too long.
Road geo- might be good, might be crap.
Designed to be used with zero setback post- this is a sure sign that seat angle is too slack. What about people that already use a zero setback post because they have short femurs? A rider like this will either be jacked up or they would need a setback post turned backwards.

djconnel

by djconnel

He already announced the stays were 420 or 425. Historically that's short: a 1927 Tour se France bike in Heine's book has 450 mm stays. He backs off on the tire clearance by requiring 650b for 53mm mt bike tires. 700 is supported only to 35 mm., On the zero setback post I generally agree, but when they played this game on the first RCa @ Cèrvelo they offset the post forward so the effective angle on the small frames was steeper than on larger ones. The Cèrvelo is relaxed by race bike standards but not by the standard of comfort bikes or gravel bikes.

On the orange: I sort of like it (color of this forum). The brown doesn't work for me, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stormur

by stormur

but full paint perfectly covers layup imperfections ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

djconnel

by djconnel

Agree: I like my carbon black. But if you're going to paint it, Orange is a good choice, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boots2000

by boots2000

The slack angles on this bike leave the toptube on the shortside.
Also, the slack seat angle screws anyone who has small saddle setback.
Single fork rake across all sizes? Cheaped out on this one.
Sorry, I am not seeing anything revolutionary here.

greenmachine
Shop Owner

by greenmachine

Regards to the geo on the "UP" it's pretty much spot on with Cannondales Super X. I have an XL on order which is due around August, ive built a few of the 1.0's now and ridden a few and have to say they are really nice bikes. I wouldn't say revolutionary but just good old fun and lots in the pipeline to come from these guy's over the next few years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I would buy a Santa Cruz Stigmata over the Open any day of the week.